1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1ST GIG AFTER 30 YEARS

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by figginalarmguy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. figginalarmguy

figginalarmguy

Jul 28, 2013
    n.h
    HI ALL
    been awhile playing my "first gig" after thirty years today,
    no i haven't been in jail or ect....
    man am i nervous......playing last band at a birthday bash
    headlining there i guess you would call it. two other local band who have been together for years.
    only got back into playing last fall, thanks goes out to wayne,c.j. eddie and dana for saying get over here pick the piece of wood up and make some noise.
    :bassist:
    "my next amp will sound like thunder"

2. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Enjoy every minute...go have sone fun :cool:

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congrats!
    Just be yourself and have some fun

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Welcome back! Have fun!

5. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Just jump into it and go for it. I started gigging again this past May....hadn't gigged since '96 and I just went for it. Got a call to fill in, out of two sets I only knew 3 of the songs, made some MAJOR mistakes and had a blast!

Must have done something right because they asked me to join them! Yes, I now know all the songs!

Have fun!

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

As others have said, congrats and have fun! To which I add some advice:

You are going to be the last band at a party. If you are nervous now, you will be even more nervous sitting through the first two bands waiting for your turn to play. The temptation will be to have a few drinks to calm your nerves. If you really want to play well, resist this temptation and go on sober.

Remember, most people don't go to a party hoping to have a lousy time; they're going to be predisposed to like you. And by the time you go on, they'll probably be drunk enough that they won't notice any clams anyway. Just do what you rehearsed, and don't make faces if you make a mistake.

Before you know it, this moment you're so nervous about will be nothing but a happy memory, and an experience you'll be eager to repeat.

Now go forth and rock! :cool:

7. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Nice One.......Enjoy

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'd echo something others have mentioned.

There's a good chance you'll be overly worried about a clam or two. IME the audience won't notice it--unless you signal it to them with facial expression or gesture.

So relax, do your best up on the stage but don't demand perfection of yourself, and be happy you're back on the scene. :bassist:

And your enjoyment of playing will definitely come across to the audience!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Enjoy, and don't wait 30 another years for you second gig.

10. DavidWann

DavidWann

Jul 26, 2013
    :bassist: :hyper:

11. I didn't play for about ten years because I left a band and then sustained an injury that involved some nerves. I thought that was a long time but thirty years - damn !

Good luck with the gig.