Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 combo recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Dec 15, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am looking for a 1x15 combo amp. Maybe a workingmans?? Any suggestions in that price range? Thanks

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville XM-200.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry - not sure what your price range would include, but the Ashdown Electric Blue Combo series are worth a look. I have a 130 watt 15" version, but there are 150 watt versions, and the new line has 180 watt versions.... :)

4. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    I used to have a Ashdown MAG 115 C250. Quite powerful and a included a nice "suboctaver"

Sold it because the lack of a tweeter horn made it somewhat limited. It had a nice mellow vintage sound. But i fancied something more versitile. So i bought the Fender Bassman 200 combo and are very happy! Brings out the tonal character of all my basses and don´t leave me "powerless" :D

Bring our own basses and try out as many as you can. You might discover that your taste actually have changed or that your favourite bass doesn´t sound very good on what seemed to be the perfect buy.

Good luck!

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    One important consideration for me is the abiltiy of the cab to accept an extension cabinet.

Would I be better off starting with a 4x10 combo and later adding a 1x15 extension? What 4x10 combos are equivilant to the Ampeg B100R?

Sorry, I live under a rock.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Ah, OK.....from the Ashdown Electric Blue point of view, only the 150 and 180 versions have an extension cab out.....my 130 doesn't!

Depending on budget, Ashdown do a 2 x 10 in the Electric Blue series - again, you could add a extension cab to the 150 or 180 versions!

7. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    Genz Benz ML200-115T

8. Check out the Amp Buyer Guide that Kirbywrx posted at the top of the forum. It's very comprehensive.

9. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    That Ampeg Rocket is a bad-ass little combo. Whether you can add to it or not...
    Rog.

10. Rabid Granny, That's the lime kitty ROFLMAO...It may not be in your price range, but for the price(usually 700-750) The Yorkville BM400, it's 15+tweeter and that's probably one of the tightest 15 sounds I've heard.The contour alone is enough to deepen the sound of a shallow sounding bass, and the graphic EQ is tone shaping to the max...I'm gonna get a BM400H(Head) to go along with my Avatar410

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you don't mind lugging a tank around...

A peavey TNT would be quite sexy for you...

But it is a tank. This thing would be a formidable opponent for an entire brigade of Abram's tanks.

Sounds good too.

12. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    peavey databass. 450W 1x15 combo (w/ black widow speaker). they are loud and sound great (flat response when flat and has a good eq section). i use one and i never go past 5 or so and i play against cranked-drop-tuned guitars in a hardcore band. i traded my old ernie ball 2x12 cab for mine, i think they typically go for $200-350. they sold for over a grand new. great deal and they only weigh about 75lbs (my ernie ball weighed about 110lbs!). all in one and fits in a hatchback car :)

13. I'll second the Peavey Databass. Got mine for $225.