1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15'' or 2x12'' ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rion, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    I have an Ashdown 300 MAG combo 4x10 i got for about 400$.

Nice sounding and all, but i want a little more kick to it.

I have settled on two choices. one 15'' or 2x12''.

My band plays progressive post-grundge. More heavy-melodic

stuff than grunge and some odd beats sometimes.

I play a custom ricken jazz bass as i like to call it. Its basically

a Jazz bass body with two rickenbacker pickups (neck and bridge)

My sound is a kind of Geddy lee (Rush) and David Ellefson (Megadeth) inspired.

So . . . what kind of speakers do you think a need out from what information i have given? . . .

Also, the speaker brand is going to be Hartke.

2. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i would go with the 212......they sound really smooth and i love thier tone. the first time i played through one, i feel in love

3. 212. The 115 will be swallowed by the 410.

4. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Which one do YOU like the sound of better?

5. .
    Your'e not going to get the same amount of volume from a single 15" that you get from your 4x10".

Sure, there are a few other variables in there, but it really all boils down to speaker cone area and the amount of air the speakers can push.
    A single 15" has nowhere near the same surface area as 4 x 10" speakers.
    Two 15s? ....Yes, it will compete.

You need speakers with a larger X-max for bass.

Greg

6. Another MAG 410 would be the best for consistent and predictable result.

Matching non-similar cabs can produce unknown results so be sure to try the combination first before buying. 212 is louder than a single 15, and can keep up with the 410 better.

7. 2x12 - same reason as above, few 115's can keep up with a 410. I also think trying before buying is a great idea, you do run a risk of mismatched cabinets not sounding well together.

8. The MAG 4x10 is still gonna be the ideal option though.

9. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    As stated above: If you like what you hear now, add another 4x10 and get more of it.

10. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    Seems like 4x10'' and 2x12'' is what the people like. I'll get right on looking for a cheap 4x10''

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Who cares? What matters is what you like, and the only way to find out is to try various combinations.

Why?

It's true that a matching 4x10 will give the most predictable result, it will sound the same but louder, which is fine if you're happy with your sound and don't have the ability to audition different cabs. But if you can try other cabs do so, otherwise you'll never know if you made the best decision.