1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2-10’s or 1-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy the kid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Mar 29, 2017
    getting my 1969 Fender P-bass out after all of these years. Need to purchase an amp.........need some guidance. Manufacture, combo or head and cab, size........wow, been surfing up and down the internet and am overwhelmed............could somebody give me some direction as to which way to go. Don’t want to go overboard, but don’t want to paint myself into a corner and not have future options.........won’t be playing at Carnegie Hall any time soon but want some good thumpin sound! Thank everyone for your input

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For gigging? What kind of music? Tone you are shooting for? Budget?

3. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I went with a 112 as my main cabinet as I felt it was the most versatile. I've had an 810 and it sounded nice but didn't have the thump I was after, and I have a 115 that sounds nice too, but my high notes get buried when I use it by itself. Definitely get something 8 ohm. I made a mistake of getting a 4 ohm 210 and the only way you can add another cab with it (I believe) is if your head has a 2 ohm load option.

DJ Bebop and KarateChris like this.
  4. Though some cab manufacturers do voice their cabs to reflect the popularly held myth that different size drivers have a similar sound/tone - so you can choose a tone by selecting a cab with the right size driver, drivers of a particular size do NOT have a 'family' tone. For example, all 15 inch drivers do not sound deep or thumpy, nor do all 10's sound more articulate. And not all 12's are a mix of the two. Then how does one select a cab? Simply decide on your preferred tone and on how much volume is required (in your typical venue size). Then audition, playing with a recording of music you'll be playing, at near live sound levels to hear how you fit in the mix.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Mar 29, 2017
    Pop, country, gospel.........clean lows......don’t like the bright harsh sound. $1,000 to $1,500

6. Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Mar 29, 2017
    At this time, not planning anything outside (gig wise/performing).......but won’t rule it out. More of a closed studio environment with drums, guitar, pedal steel and bass. So not sure whether or not to get a head and cab (since won’t be moving it around a lot).......or get a combo (just in case we do).

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    One answer is to get one of the fender Rumble series secondhand, because they have a good rep, are reasonably cheap and should be easy to shift on when you know more about what you want. It ain't a marriage, you haven't got to live with an amp for the rest of your life! Different sized cones do have an influence on sound (physics), but there's huge overlap, and the type of cabinet (sealed or ported) is at least as important as the cone size, and the amplifier voicing as important too...
    If you haven't thought about bass amps for 30 years (position I was in not that long ago) you'll be gob smacked about how powerful an amp almost everyone here says you have to have to play gigs. Its very strange, I don't believe watts have got any smaller or speaker sensitivity any lower in the meantime!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino HDN210. Clean, articulate, full-range tone with plenty of bottom.

9. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Markbass, based on what you said here.

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    For studio use, I’d go direct into the DAW and choose an amp/cab simulation that sounds good.

For live use with FOH, a vertical 2x10, since it’s just for monitor duty, and the tone is secondary.

For live use without FOH - well, I’d probably call in sick for that one...

ToddOfThunder and nonohmic like this.
  11. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    +1 to this. I have a CN210 (slightly older model) and love it, cuts through the mix very well with plenty of bottom.

tree_trunker likes this.
  12. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    2x10 in top
    1x15 on the bottom.... boom

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'd recommend you consider the Mesa Subway line. Light, compact, versatile tonewise, packs a wallop when you need it and sounds good at lower volumes. You could find a used 1-15 cab (or a 2-10) and a D-800 amp within your budget. (I happen to have a D-800 for sale. Linked in my sig, below. But that's not why I'm suggesting this gear. It's _excellent_ bass amplification; no compromise.)

14. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I too have a combo with a 12"driver in it and it's the best of both worlds. My extension cab is a 2 x10 for extra ping - it's also much lighter than the equivalent 15".
    15s are best mixed with smaller drivers (IMHO). As for brands; Mesa Boogies are wonderful bit pricey, G K are great and also make powered speakers. Markbass are my faves and can be really light but not on the wallet. The 102P is VERY popular. Can't tell where you're based. Customer service is amazing here in the UK but apparently not quite so good in the US. There are other choices but if you don't like any of these the resale value will always be good.

15. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Aguilar TB350 head and 1x12" cab is a good way to go. ... Clean and compact.

tree_trunker likes this.
  16. How loud do you plan to play in this studio-type situation? Better to have too much power than not enough. You can always turn down, but if you push an underpowered amp too much it’s going to sound like crap.

If it were me, I’d start with a 115. You can always add a 210 later if you need it.

Kiril Basso likes this.
  17. 115 has as much surface area as 310s (almost). So, 115 will be louder then 210s. Depending the makes and models, sound quality and dispersion will vary of course. If you can find a 310, they rock. Although, I'm still very partial to 212s myself. 212s get just about as loud as 410s.

18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Buy whichever you prefer when you go to the music store and try them out. There isn't "a" 2X10 cabinet or "a" 1X15 cabinet. The only way to figure it out is to go hear yourself play through your bass and head.

ELG60 likes this.
  19. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I loved my GK MB115 with my Precision. Found the 2x10 too scooped for my liking.

heynorm likes this.
  20. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Can't go wrong with Fender's Rumble cabs. The are light and cheap and just sound "right," though they won't blow you away. I really like my 1x15, which is, contrary to "type," a really mid-range-y sounding speaker, which sounds great with tube heads and can get plenty loud. Plus I can carry it with one hand. Pair it with one of the Bassman 500s and you'd have a killer rig. But try their 2x10 too, you might like it!

Also, like JimchJones mentioned about, the Rumble series is a really well-known commodity, so either you'll join the hive-mind and love it, or have an easy time selling it for close to what you paid for if you don't. Pretty high volume market with good resale value.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Kipp Harrington and dbbltime like this.