1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2-10’s or 1-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy the kid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    You can't go wrong with an Aguilar Tonehammer 350 or 500 and one or 2 Aguilar SL112 cabinets. You will be very happy at home and an awful lot of gigs with one of these cabinets. With the TH 500 and 2-8ohm cabs you will have the option of using one cabinet or two (which brings out all the glory of the full 500 watts). The cabs are light, and the amps remarkably small and light. They will cover every bass you want. I own a TH500 and use an 8ohm DB2-10 cab, and that cabinet is (to me) heavy at 59 lbs.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    tree_trunker and jcerio like this.
  2. I just got back into music after a very long layoff. I did some research and dipped into the Mesa Subway line. I'm amazed at how light and how awesome it all sounds! Tech has come a looooong way!

3. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    True. The rumble gear is easy to sell. The 210 combo sounds really good for most applications or you could just skip that step and go right to mesa subway series...

Greyvagabond likes this.
  4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Mesa Subway D-800 and Mesa SW115 would be a GREAT setup. Look for used deals to stay within your budget.

5. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    2-10s. Buy a lightly used 8 ohm cab from a quality manufacturer. Generally, I’m not big on combo amps although I get the attraction. One thing for sure, take your time and do your homework. Play as many different rig as you and buy what you like the best.

6. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I have Subway D800+, very powerful. Genzler BA 12-3 ARAY CAB. AWESOME. Compact but very high performance. Mids and highs produced by the aray drivers are smooth and disperse very well.

7. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Nice rig. That’s (12) 3” speakers?

8. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Me too. Actually had a 115 (GB Bassic) and switched to the CN210 as my "small cab". For me, I decided a 112 was a little too small for gigging, and a 210 or 115 was more versatile (but still small enough).

Each cab is going to sound different, so maybe try to shop local, and try out some stuff. These days, there are lots of great options in every price range, for every player.

9. I no expert on amps and cabs but have played through a hell of a lot of amps/cabs.
    Currently I use Ampeg PF500 amp and a 1x15 Ampeg Cab for small to medium gigs.
    It's designed for maximum performance with 2 cabs. I rarely get to use both my 1x15 and 2x10 cabs together.
    Whenever we have an outdoor gig or large hall I use both cabs and the difference is night and day.
    The 500 watt PF only puts out 350 watts with one cab but the full 500 with two cabs.
    And it's a wonderful feeling playing with the full 500 watts and probably even better with the PF 800.
    The tone is much fuller, the lows and highs more distinct and the cleanest growl ever.
    Unfortunately playing in small clubs and trying to use 2 cabs is not the same. Volume has to be much lower so you lose the fuller highs and lows. Not to mention one more thing to bring to a show.

PF 500 Amp with 1x15 cab & 2x10 cab. Make sure you are wearing a belt on your pants or it will blow them right off your bum if you dial in the volume and gain past 8
    Ampeg Stacked.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Mar 29, 2017
    Is there a headphone jack in any of the GK heads?

11. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    If you look to the left, you’ll see that you can get both in one large and very inconvenient package. 6ECCEC51-3008-4E28-9E46-B79DC5D983E2.

12. Billy the kid

Billy the kid

Mar 29, 2017
    From my research I am leaning towards GK..........torn between combo and head/cab. Do you know if I go head (GK 700rb) for now and get the speaker later can I use headphones to play in the mean time?

13. Sid s

Sid s

Dec 22, 2016
    Western NC, USA
    Not true. 1x15 has 12.5% more surface area than 2x10. So they are pretty much the same in terms of surface area.

Lobster11 and PillO like this.
  14. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    As some folks have pointed out, two 10" speakers can be both deeper and punchier than a 115. Add to that the fact that a good 210 cab will push more air than a 115, I'd really suggest you check out some good 210's instead of 115's. Just more versatile.

hennessybass and whero like this.
  15. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Might also consider a Walkabout combo.

Ewo likes this.
  16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Heck a old used BA115 is pretty fun
    Not very expandable, but heck just buy another one and its cheaper than most

download.

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  17. This where understanding matching cabs/heads ohm loads is important. Read more about ohms at TB forum.

18. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    I'd choose 2x10 over a 1x15, I feel a 210 projects much better than a single 15.

19. upload_2018-12-18_1-3-21. upload_2018-12-18_1-4-5.