1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2-10’s or 1-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy the kid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    GK gear can be rather 'hi-fi' and scooped in the mids style. How about a Markbass 210 combo or Rumble 200 combo?

2. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Don't over think it.
    Much of ur tone is in ur fingers and when u stand out in front of the band well, most of the time it'll sound like mush anyway.
    The Rumbles are cheap and good and make a lot of noise for the money

3. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia

4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Really you need to go play stuff and figure out what you like. 10's, 12's, 15's, 8's, or even 5's... even within those sizes they all sound different. Figure out if you want a more modern hi-fi sound or a older vintage style. Etc. etc. There's a lot out there.

Personally, I like 15's and how they sit in the mix for me but I know plenty of people who play 10s and plenty who play 12's as well.

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I prefer 15s, but I build a pair of 112s because they'll fit in my little car. I typically use only one cab. Drive one or both with a Quilter BB800. Sometimes using a Tech 21 VT Bass DI pedal for DI and recording, and a bit of OD. Simple, small and light, yet still loud enough with a band.

The closest cabs to mine are the Mesa Subway. If you can fit it in your car, I'd recommend starting with the 15" cab, and BB800 amp, and go from there.

IMO/YMMV as usual.

Haroldo likes this.
  6. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Best to check with GK if the head needs to see a load - some do, some don't. I would definitely go for separates - much easier to change up if you decide you want to change. A GK 115 Neo is plenty loud and quite mid voiced. It has an adjustable tweeter - you can dial it down if you want a mellower tone. Also light. A lot of people recommend GK212 Neo

7. Ha, yeah...115 has more surface area than 210s. Like I said

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    GK MB212. Works with just about any situation. Clean lows, loud, light, and in your budget. I’ve been gigging one for years between two bands and an acoustic act. Which is every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. With my cover band, I play 5 string active jazzes. With my country band I play 4 string passive P’s. With the acoustic act I play 4 string passive P’s, Jazzes, and a Epiphone Jack Casady. They all sound great through the GK.

9. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Fender Rumble based on your anticipated music styles. I'd suggest going full Monty and get the 500W version since it fits in your budget.
    Happy playing

Greyvagabond likes this.
  10. Can't go wrong with Fender Rumble. Rumble 200 or Rumble 500. If you can find one used, better still.

dbbltime and Greyvagabond like this.
  11. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Whatever you do make sure you buy an 8 (not 4) ohm cab if your head is rated at 4 ohms minimum. That way you CAN add another 8 ohm cab in the future. If that doesn't make sense search for, say, "ohm ratings".

12. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    115 versus 210 has basically nothing to do with comparing the area of a 15 inch circle with two 10 inch circles. Just sayin' -- there are threads explaining this.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006

14. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    To the OP - I play a GK700rb into an SWR 210 with updated drivers.

This rig was sick with my active 5’er. Now that I’m playing passive Fenders, I’m missing something in terms of the fundamental so I’m looking for a 15 - most likely the new Mesa Subway.

I know guys say the difference is negligible, but there’s something about that 15 bump that makes it all seem so much more worth it - lol -

15. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    The volume you need will be determined by the drummers you play with and the size of venues. I suggest you keep an open mind and try a number of amps, preferably renting them. You can't tell in a store what an amp will be like on a gig. It's a great time to explore amps for a bass player, they have come a long way since 1969.

By the way, I have 5 amps but still use my old Ampeg fliptop tube amp/15" for some of my gigs. It gets more positive comments than anything new.

AstroSonic and Jason Hollar like this.
  16. Avatar makes great cabs, and they're very reasonable used. I have a 115 and a 112 and they're workhorses and not heavy

Fumble Fingers likes this.
  17. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I had a Markbass LMIII and NY151 rig that was pretty damn stout for it's size and portability. BUT, I just switched from a traditional pedal board/head/cab set up to a Helix and a K10.2 PA cab and I'm loving it, the k10.2 impresses me more and more every time I play it. My drummer was dumbfounded, couldn't believe the little cab was keeping up (without even pushing it really).

EDIT: Forgot to make my point. Size of speaker matters a lot less to it's sound than people think. That little 10.2 sounds better and fuller than my old 115 set up.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Without front of house support I use an Audiokinesis 115, with FOH (subs) I use a Markbass 210 CMD, because the 115 can get a little hard to tame with subs.

19. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have the same rig, and you, sir, are correct! While it does sound great with just the 115, adding the 210 on top just puts it over the top. And try it with an SCR/DI in the path, makes a good thing even better!

dbbltime and dtripoli like this.
  20. As others have said....the size of the speaker means nothing. NOTHING in terms of tone.

A few things to consider:

1. Moving air is the end goal. It's a fact that two tens will move more air than a single 15.
    2. A bigger cone size does not equal "bassier" or "deeper" tone. As a matter of fact, quite the opposite can be true. Many cheaper 15" and 18" speakers are generally far less efficient simply due to the physical limitations of current voice coil technology.
    3. Cabinet design, speaker sensitivity, floor/wall coupling, and other factors will contribute far more to the over tone and loudness than speaker size.
    4. Consider a modular rig where you can add more speakers as necessary. For many that means a head and vertically stacking 2x10 or 4x10 cabinets. Personally, I use a Markbass 102P combo for small gigs (or go direct to FOH) and add a second 2x10 or 4x10 cabinet as needed for larger venues or outdoor gigs.

If going solid state, I personally would not consider a head that was rated at less than 300 watts into 8 ohms. Additionally, getting a head that will operate down to 2 ohms will be far more useful than most other features.

Most importantly, play as many head/speaker combos possible before choosing a solution. Visit your local Guitar Center or Music Go Round and spend the day in there plugging into everything you can. Crank it up to gig volume when testing. Low volume testing won't really help you see how the rig performs.

Finally, try not to purchase any equipment online unless you have plugged into the same model in person.

Edit: For my sucky grammar.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018