1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 or 410 + 115 Weight or Sound Quality ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shakiroin, Oct 5, 2009.

1. shakiroin

shakiroin

Dec 17, 2008
    Recently was talking to a tech over the phone. He said most of people now are getting a 2 x 10 and a 1 x 15.

Is this sound quality related ? or weight ? or money ?

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Alot of bass guys are downsizing gear, so it is part of a trend I guess.

Two 210's would be better than a 210 + 115, though.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    A 2x10 overpowers the 1x15 less, making the 1x15 a bit less useless when compared to a 4x10 and 1x15 setup.

IMO, you should match your driver size and try to make multiple cabinets get equal shares of the power.

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I tried a 2x10/1x15 setup, but the cabs didn't match up very well. I have seen one or two players with those cab sizes together in their rig and it seemed to work pretty well, though. If you could try that setup for yourself in a shop or something and let your ears give you their review, that might be the best way to see if it will work.

I use a pair of the same model of 2x10 now and I like that I don't need to worry much about phase issues or some imbalance, plus they run paired at 4 ohms while my old 4x10 ran at 8 ohms. The two small cabs fit in my wee car and when I turn them up, together they push a gi-normous sound for me.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    It's true sometimes there can be phase issues when running speakers in boxes with ports that have different/conflicting tuning.

Not an issue with my rig, the top 2x10 cab is a sealed cabinet and is not tuned as a stand-a-lone, the 1x15 is ported, as a system they work very well together.

MOjOstack100.

LittleFelix. ...

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  7. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    Dean Markley Strings, Xotic Basses, Kubicki Basses
    Usually best to use the same cabinets if you are running them off of the same amp.
    12's and 15's sound much better for bass than 10's in any case. I really like the GK neo 12's and 15's. Very quick and solid bottom end. I have fun playing with 2x12 cabs or a pair of single 15's for small gigs.
    If you just HAVE to have 10's then yes, two 2x10 cabs would sound better than a 2x10 and 1x15 combination.

8. I love my 1x15/2x10 rig. Of course, everyone's tastes are different. I never got the 4x10/1x15 combination, though. It seems like the 1x15 would be nearly inaudible.

9. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    on what planet is this?

10. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I've been playing with an Ashdown abm 210 and a 115. It sounds pretty good, although the 210 sounds loads better than the 115. The deciding factor for me was that I could fit them in my car.

I played my setup through an Ashdown 410 the other day and I sounded so much more controlled, not as "woofy". I'm wondering if the 210/115 setup suffers from having a split sound from using different speaker sizes, or if the solidness I heard in the 410 came from the single cab design.

My question is: could I achieve the same sound with two 210s, or does the "solidness" I noticed in the tone of the 410 rely on having a single cabinet for the four 10's?

Does 410 = 2*210's?

I don't mean to hijack -- I think that this question speaks to the OP's question.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

There are some amps that allow biamping with an internal cross over.

Tim

12. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Yeah, it's a common mistake.

Speaker size only directly affects dispersion.

13. You really need to try for yourself to find what you like. You should also ignore suggestions that 4x10's (or 2x10's) ought not to be paired with 1x15's. Many people have been doing it successfully. Victor Wooten has used this setup with both his Ampeg and Hartke rigs for ages.

14. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I usually run an 810 on stage. I tried downsizing to a 210 and 115 combo. I enjoyed the tone until I plugged back into my 810. I like to move a lot of air and was not getting that from the smaller rig. I generally don't care for a 15 in the mix at all. Personally, I don't like the sound of most 15's out there. Now if I don't run the 810, I use two 410's.
    I agree that you should try out all available options and see what suits you best. If size is a consideration, there are many companies making smaller cabs in many configurations. For instance, if I have to travel to play in Denver and don't have a lot of time to set up or don't want to carry a ton of gear into the place, I use my Schroeder 410R by itself.

15. evil-g

evil-g

Feb 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    I run a SWR Goliath Jr. 3rd 210 cab and a Son of Bertha 15 cab both 8 ohms for a 4 ohm load. I power them with a Carvin BX 500 head. It does seem to me that the 210 is working harder, seems louder. Of course it's closer to my ear on top of the 15. Amy thoughts.

Thanks

Evil-g

16. Sorry I'm biased and like a rig as tall as me!!And I can FEEL my 115 under my 410.
    woooo