Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 Which one??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Nov 24, 2003.

1. I did some searches but still want more input.
    I've just purchased an Ashdown ABM 500 1x15 combo and would like to add a 2x10 to the mix.

I have an swr Goliath 4x10, but I'm trying to lighten the load, from what I've read the 2x10's deliver plenty of sound. I've grown weary lugging the old SVT and Goliath and Triad cabinet's around.

So the quandry is which 2x10 do I get? Of course like anyone I want the most bang for my buck.

So SWR, Hartke, Ashdown, Avatars, Basson, GK, Eden, Bagend, EA, so many to choose from.
    I've been hearing good things about Basson. I hear they employ 200 oz magnets!. Their 2x10 runs around 375.00 rated at 500w and peak 1000, definatly the biggest mag's I've seen. Certainly wouldn't help in lightening the load, I guess...

So what do you/have you use(d) and why?
    Your comments are greatly appreciated and anticipated.
    Peace

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the Bergantino 2x10. It has such a huge sound for just two tens... keeps up just fine at LOUD rehearsals... has girth but still cuts through. It's one of the pricier models out there, though.

Prior to getting the Berg, I was happy with the following 2x10's: Ampeg, Mesa/Boogie, and SWR. Of those, I'd recommend the SWR: it's a solid cab, has nice tone, and is surprisingly light... just 50 pounds or so!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use the Berg 210 also. I agree with Fuzzbass comments. I use it right now as a stand alone and the sound is huge. The Berg speakers really let the character of your instrument come through without being too hi-fi or too colored. Im going to pair it with another 210 or a 115 in the future.

4. Where does one find BErg cab's? Do they have a website?
    What is the price end on these?
    Thanks Kids!

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've had an SWR 2x10 in the past, I'm currently using an D210XLT and D410XLT setup/combo depending on the room. I love the sound that both manufacturers cabs have/do give(n) me.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    www.bergantino.com/

$750 for the 210. This is the same price anywhere that sells Bergantino speakers. The owner of the company is strict on prices and will not allow any of his dealers to sell them for less. They are worth it IMO...

7. SWR Goliath Jr. here....Very loud and clear for a 2x10.

8. another vote for swr goliath jr.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

For the money.......Avatar! They can take a huge amount of power and not empty your pockets! I can't remember the specs off the top of my head but they can handle about 700 watts!! Check out Avatar Speakers

10. How are the workingman cab's? Do they compare to the Goliath's?

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Not to mention plenty of low end for a 210 cab. I have two of the 4ohm Goliath II Jr's that I pair together. I get lots of compliments on this set up from other bass players and soundmen.

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Fergetabout the WM cab's.

Big difference.

Go Goliath Jr.

13. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Have a look at the mesa 210 while you're at it. One of the better 210's ive come across, especially when coupled with a 15.

I recently got rid of my goliath jr....When running it as a standalone @ 8ohms i found it lacked efficency, it also had some dodgy wiring which made my speakers crackly and temperamental. Not a bad cab though at moderate volumes.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Personal rating...YMMV:

1. Bergantino HT210
    2. Bag End D10BX-D (sold as 4ohm only so that could be a problem for your amp)
    2. (virtual tie with BE) Epifani T-210
    3. EBS-210
    4. Aguilar GS210
    5. Eden D-210SXT
    6. SWR Goliath Jr. III
    7. Eden D-210XLT
    8. --Who cares--

15. The output is marked "min load 4ohm", so I should be ok with a 4 ohm cab?

16. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    naa dude ....

The 15inch in your combo would be already running at an 8ohm load.

So in other words, you have to buy another 8ohm cab to compliment it......

8+8= 4ohm load

8+4= "i need a new rig, mine just died"

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    After thinking about this a bit more, I would probably put the D-210SXT ahead of the Ag GS210, especially if you play (or will ever play) a BEADG 5 string.

I would also probably put a Mesa RR210 somewhere around 6 or 7 on the list...

A bunch of other cabs I haven't heard so I won't comment...other than...Ashdown makes a mini 4x8 cab that would probably sound great with your current rig. Check it out if you can.

18. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've been using a bergantino 2x10 for pretty much everything for a while now. it is by far the biggest-sounding 2x10 I've come across.

i've used an SWR 2x10 and an Eden 2x10 xlt in the past, both standalone and together (they sounded huge when used together).

since i've lightened my load to just a 2x10, though, the berg is just killing as a standalone cab.

bought mine from my local store (www.swissvalemusic.com) - they are great to deal with.

the cab weighs 64 lbs., sort of heavy for a 2x10 in this day of ultralights! If berg would make an ultralight like Epifani i'd be on it pronto.