1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x15 or 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tazthewonderdog, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Volume and lows is what I need...
    The title states my exact question. I'm looking at a used Fender 215 and a used Ampeg 410. The Ampeg is $400 in good condition, not sure how much the Fender will be though, in good condition.

Basically, I'm looking for one step above a practice amp. Small gigs, basement shows, church, etc., but loud shows. Metal and rock, loud metal and rock... plus my church worship is really loud. Haha :D

Because I play a five string, I'm thinking I might prefer those two 15"s for the lows, but I'm really not sure... :confused: so I humbly ask your opinions on the matter!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Which Ampeg 4x10 is it? Speaker size has basically no meaningful way of telling you how "low" it will go. There are a lot of other much more important factors that will.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Speaker size has nothing to do with low response or handling a low B. Just play through them both and see what sounds best to you. Provided it sounded good, personally I'd grab the 215 just because it's likely laid out better. Little better dispersion, speaker closer to ear level, etc. 410's can be hard to hear yourself when you're standing up close to them. Most of the sound is hitting you in the knees.

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I'm a no-horn 15 guy. That Fender seems like overkill for small venues. What about the best of both worlds, pair a 1x15 with a 4x10? You can buy them one at a time as you have the money and use them seperately or together.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Try them both, preferably side by side. That's the only way to compare them.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There is no benefit to running the 1x15 with the 4x10. You'll run the risk of blowing the 1x15, though, without even hearing it in the process.

7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Get both.
    I use a pair of Hartkes being a 4x10 + 2x15 and drive them with 2 heads. 500W for the 15's and 350W for the 10's. Using 2 heads gives you back up if you need it and balance without straining the system. Easy to carry and all pieces portable.

The perfect set up for me. (so far)

8. +1.

9. I can only afford one though.. :(
    And I can't play them together, they're too many miles away. Haha, I can play them separately though. I'm afraid the 215 may be stolen though- my friend used to date the seller's daughter, and apparently the guy selling the amp was quite the thief. Anyway, I'd love them both... but for now I need to pick up just one.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    steer clear of stolen gear because the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain!

11. I have no idea what you mean by that...
    And assuming this isn't stolen........

12. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    No model info on the cabs is really going to limit your responses. A sealed 4x10 or an old narrow Bassman 2x15 may not do a 5-string well....just depends on the model of the cab.

13. +1 to trying them both out and based on your ears choose what sounds better to you and what you are looking for.

I have never used a 2x15 but have used a 4x10. However my sound calls for a lot of high's and mid's, not so much low's. The 4x10 was a great cab though. Loud enough for most of what I needed it for in the past. It was a Fender as well.

14. I like 15s.

15. Haha I'm not getting that 2x15. the owner is being suck a jerk, no way I'm dealing with him.
    I hate people like this guy

16. I prefer 2x15 cabs myself, but if as you say the owner is a jerk, then don't deal with him.

Also, as mentioned, a 2x15 is not necessarily likely to handle lows any better than a 4x10 cab will.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya think one of you clowns dating his daughter may have something to do with that?:p. I know it was one of your friends but you may just be guilty by association.

18. Lol I'm pretty sure he has no idea who I am!
    Anyway, I found one at a pawn shop. Peavey 4x12 for $180... Now, I don't think my head will have arrived yet (The free head that bassmanpaul is sending me, thank you very much!), so I won't be able to test it out.. but hell. $180. Plus it's a Peavey, and I don't know of anyone that's destroyed a Peavey...

19. Is it a bass cab or a guitar cab?

20. gaudenti

gaudenti

May 29, 2011
    Moorpark, CA
    It probably doesn't matter for anything in any way, but total speaker area for 2x15 is 353 sq in, 4x10 is 314 sq in. So does that mean the 2x15 can move more air? Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just happened to have a calculator handy . . .