1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3/4 neck prices

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by vlado, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Hi, I'm thinking about finally repairing my double bass, after years that I've been delaying it. The neck is broken at the heel and, although I know it could also be fixed, I'm thinking of getting a completely new neck. I have no idea about the prices, with my bass being a cheap one and my resources and the commercial use of the instrument being very limited, I would first like to investigate a bit how much an average price for the neck would be.

2. Replacing the neck might be a lot more work than a heel repair. A photo would help to decide on this.

You might also need a new fingerboard and nut for a new neck. So calculate that too.

3. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    I know it's more then that, that is why I said I'd probably go for a new neck and then maybe I'd see about adjusting my old fingerboard and a nut to the new neck, or getting it all together, which ever solution makes more sence... i'll send some photo when I take it...

4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    You're probably not going to get any meaningful dollar figure here.

Reason is that the neck itself is just one component of what could be a large job, and difficult as a DIY project.

Without information about your bass, photos, measurements etc how can you know even what type of neck you need?

An "average" neck - if there is such a thing - might not fit.

Unless you want a long and tricky and expensive hobby project, you need to go talk to a luthier :)