3 pickup wiring 3 way switch + 2 Vols vs 6 rotary switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DangaDanga, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    I'm thinking of adding a third pickup to my bass but wanted to get some expert opinions on wiring for it. Currently my bass has two pickups, a threeway switch, master volume and a preamp.

Would it be more efficient if I added a middle pickup with it's own volume or put in a 6 way rotary switch for all three pickups and use one volume pot?

My idea is to use the middle pickup with it's own volume for a on/off kind of deal like a jazz bass before it goes to the preamp but my worry is if it will cause signal/tone loss on either chain.

Any input you guys can give me would be awesome!

2. What kind of pickups? I wired a 3 pickup bass for Overture guitars several years ago that was a J/P/J configuration. We used 2 blend pots one was to blend the 2 Jazz pickups and the other was ro blend the P pickup with the Jazz set. With this setup, you can have any combination of the 3 on at any given time. Just remember to wire the middle pickup backwards or it'll be out of phase with the others and sound really thin.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022