1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lon86, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    I remember Tony Levin playing one of these a few years back...

Anyone have one of these or know anything about them.

In one of my projects, I rarely ever tough my g, all low end rumble (very fun!)...a three would be really cool for this.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    i think wishbass would be the way to go- crazy looking basses, but I'm not sure how well they play or sound

3. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    theres a thread on this already

it featured a PJB plug video with a 2 stringer

4. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why stop there? Just make a 1 string bass, and tune it to F#...all low end, none of that crappy high end ;)

5. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
  6. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
  7. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    search for the PMB 1000 pacman bass... thats only 3 string.

i say whamola!

8. I'm a big Morphine fan. For the last couple of years I have been tempted to mod a jazz into a 2-string "slide bass" like Mark Sandman used. The thought makes me happy, but I'm not sure how much it would actually get used.

9. i dunno if it counts, but i broke my Squier P about a while ago, and the headstock how only has room for 3 tuners lol. it's tuned E A D, no G...thats my rumble bass...i use the Jazz when i wanna get fancy

10. Bee Basses offers a 3 string bass as an option, but they will cost. They last time I checked (a few months back) a Bee 3 string bass started at $1500 and went up from there with options.

11. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    It was my understanding that Tony's 3 string bass was a one-of-a-kind Musicman, made especially for him, and sadly, destroyed in his barn fire. There's a whole story about how he playfully returned the charred bass, asking for a refund, and Musicman politely declined! I'm sure someone can find a link to that story, somewhere!

In the meantime, here's a 3-stringer from Hotwire:

[​IMG]

12. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Tony sent it in because he was "having trouble with the neck". :D

http://www.tonylevin.com/pbfire.htm

13. LOL :D

14. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey