1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300W/channel Powered Mixer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I am looking for a powered mixer that has anywhere between 100W and 300W RMS (you know, average power) per channel. This is for two 8 ohm speaker cabinets. Each cab is rated at 300W RMS. But I really don't need a fancy mixer, 4 input channels is what I want, with each channel being either 1/4 inch inputs or XLR inputs. Some EQ would be good, maybe some reverb, but they aren't necessary.

I want to use this PA for band practice. What I am looking for is suggestions on what head to purchase, as well as suggestions on how much wattage to feed it.

I have a 200W bass amp/cab, the drummer plays loud, and the guitarist has a 30W/50W marshal tube amp. The practice room is rather small, carpeted and filled with stuff to absorb sound. approx 10ft ceiling.

Also, I do not want to pay very much... lol. quality is not my highest concern ATM

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
  3. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    bump, any more suggestions. I'm looking to pay $150 or less...

4. With a loud drummer and 200 watt bass rig even for practices it is not going to happen.

Even $250 will only get you cheap behringer stuff that you seriously can't trust long term, 150 won't get you much of anything.

5. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    aw come on, thats not what i want to hear, lol.

well I never turn my amp over 3-4... idk, we just want to be able to hear the singing at least a little, I don't think we need very much. I have a Digitech Jamman, which has a microphone input and we were pumping it through that into my bass amp with my bass signal, and we could hear it...

we just aren't willing to spend very much on this, mainly cause the people singing suck/have never sang before (aka me, and the guitarist, lol) so I wouldn't have as much of a problem investing this money into bass equipment, cause I play bass well and will definitely use it for years, unless I re-sell it... the PA... might not get too much use after a year. I guess we could always re-sell it...

6. Search craigslist and flea bay for a Yamaha Emx series powered mixer. You'll spend just a little more but should be very pleased.

You should be able to find one for around $200.

Off the top of my head....check the raleigh/durham craigslist for a yamaha powered mixer in cary. It was there yesterday. Guy was asking $160.

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    good advice given here. also a good old peavey xr600. i bought an 8 channel used from Craigslist for $60. Works great. Practice doesnt have to be that loud anyway. Any drummer that cant control his volume from big venue down to small practice rooms, is not worth keeping.