1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3015 + 3015LF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Sep 24, 2010.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Yeah, I dig fifteens. I'm using two 3015s now and am boosting the lows and cutting mids and highs. Should I replace one of them with a 3015LF? I realize I'd then need to find or build a cab for it too. Do I need to crossover or can I run it full range? I'm not a hi-fi guy. The mids and highs on the 3015 are good enough for me. Anyone doing this?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd use an XO, but the cab would then be 8 ohms instead of 4.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The 3015 is more sensitive than the 3015lf and therefore would be louder. To even the volume out, you would have to run stereo and turn the 3015lf up about 2.5 db.

4. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    ..or get a 4 ohm LF to use with my 8 ohm 3015.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    that would work, but i'd still use an XO since the 3015LF has some harshness to it above 900-1K.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    AFAIK that will currently require buying an engineering sample from Eminence, built to your personal spec.

7. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Ok, I thought they made a 4-ohmer. I'm probably better off sticking with what I have and accepting the radical EQ I'm using.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's that, or you could load the drivers you have in a cab that will deliver the tone you're looking for. As for swapping out one 3015 for an LF, that will accomplish nothing. As for going to two LF, only if you're not able to get adequate low end output with what you have and you have well more than 600 watts available to drive them.

9. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Hi Bill, My cabs are built for the 3015s. They're similar to the TL606 design with slightly more internal volume and significantly bigger ports. I got the design here on TB. It came from WINSD, I think it was. :cool: So the cab is not completely inappropriate for the driver though maybe not optimal for what I'm doing. :confused: I can get enough low end from it but then my EQ is something like:
    bass: 2:00
    Mid: 9:00
    treble: 9:00

I have 1200 watts :D (B1500). The cool thing about my cabs is they both fit in my Corolla. :oops::ninja: Anything bigger wouldn't. :bawl: Sorry about getting carried away with the smilies.

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Are you me?

The B1500 has that sub-bass control, which I find can generate ungodly lows from 2x3015's.

If it is, in fact, a TL-606 - based cabinet, you can go for the 'step-down' tuning option by covering the middle port, which will drop your cabinet tuning frequency with a more gradual low end roll off.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    And that's a problem why? :confused:
    Those knobs are there for a reason: to get the sound you want.

12. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Interesting topic. I bought a 3015 non-LF like you and put it in a fairly small cabinet and was not happy with the bright mids and highs. First thing I did was a 14 hour break-in using my signal generator and a spare bass amp head. I applied 10Hz to the cone for about 14 hours being careful not to exceed the xmax. This helped a small amount but still was too bright.

Second I bought shipping foam home from work. About 1" deep with those little triangle thingies on one side. Using contact cement I applied the foam to all sides of the cab.

Sounds great now! No brightness. Nice and dark and plenty loud. I'm back to using normal EQ curves.

13. +1

you don't have to run everything flat to get the sound you want, if you doing something far more radical with the eq then i'd start to think maybe the head wasn't the one for you!

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Even if you have to boost the bass, you may still come out ahead of the game using the twin 3015s as long as you have adequate excursion. Let me explain:

Suppose we have two same-sized bass cabs. One cab is 95 dB efficient across the board, and the other is 98 dB efficient from 100 Hz up, but only 95 dB efficient below 100 Hz. The first cab has a nice bottom end, but the second cab needs 3 dB of bass boost to get the same tonal balance. So which will play louder, assuming amplifier power rather than voice coil excursion is the limiting factor?

The 98 dB cab will play louder even assuming 3 dB of bass boost, because the two cabs are actually the same efficiency below 100 Hz but the 98 dB cab is 3 dB more efficient (requires only half as much power to reach the same SPL) above 100 Hz.

So as long as you're not running out of excursion, I'd say stick with the 3015s and EQ the bottom end as needed.

15. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks Bill and Duke. I am getting a good sound so I should quit my whining.

Update - I switched strings from rounds to flats and now its about perfect for fingerstyle with just a touch of bass boost. And there's a lot more there if I need it.

I may have to put some more foam in there too.

Ain't life grand :)

16. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    They are loosely based on the TL-606 with bigger ports. I've been meaning to plug one up someday to see what it does. Thanks for the reminder..

I like the sub-bass control too but you have to be careful with it. Your tone in the house can turn to mud pretty quick.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    But if it doesn't sound good with my amp dials all at noon why bother? ;(

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021