311's new cd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by funktastic, Sep 19, 2005.

1. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Did anyone else feel let down by the release of their new cd, "don't tread on me?" I really felt like they made a mistake by putting SA out there on a more lead vocals role. I just feel like they aren't the same band anymore, the single "don't tread on me" still has the 311 sound thankfully, but Nick doesn't get the vocal parts i think he should have. I really enjoyed them until this recent album, all of the band just seems to be just playing to keep the money in now...i could be wrong though, it very well could just be a change of style. What do you guys think? :bag:
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Truthfully, I think it sucks. The disc does nothing for me at all. Usually discs will grow on me after awhile, not this one. I just quit listening to it.
  3. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    My above post was just the nicest way of putting it they way you put it...it does suck
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I didn't like the album at all. "Don't Tread on Me" is a good song, but the rest of the album was lacking, at best.
  5. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I saw them live last month.

Thankfully, most of the songs were old ones (pre- "From Chaos")

I think the vocals lack meaning, and the bass lacks decent parts. I'll stick to "Music" and "The Blue Album"
  6. i thought it interesting that they said in an interview that they were tired of being thought up as more of a reggae/rock band (ex. long song, amber etc) and they wanted people to remember that they were rock/reggae first (ex. down, come original, etc) and thats the sound that they wanted in this cd.
    i think thats interesting, because i really like their songs like amber and love song, and i think those are some of their better songs, but they didn't like that!
  7. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I was no where near as good as the older albums. P-Nut also didnt have his sound together. I like 311, especially Music... Don't Tread on Me, the single, just didnt have that 311 vibe that i liked on the previous albums.
  8. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    "Love Song" isnt 311.

it's a cover 311 did.
  9. I actually hated it at first but after listening many many times I love it now. I had the same experience with Incubus's latest release as well. I do think that SA was a bit too out front on this one. The only song I dont like is his solo track.
  10. i like the new record alot.
    its not my fav 311 cd.
    but i still think its better than 99% of all the other stuff out there.
    i think the new cd is over produced....

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I am a huge 311 fan but I feel that after their self titled blue album it had gone downhill. Grassroots and Music are awesome. The new CD with SA singing sounds like cow dung to me. P-NUT doesn't even sound like himself. This CD will stay in its case without a scratch on it!
  12. you think transistor is going downhill?!
  13. yes, thank you...but they still played it? right? i was talking more about the style than the song.
  14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
  15. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    It's like they're not even trying anymore. It lacks effort. SA sure has improved vocally though, although much to the demise of the band.
  16. are you kidding me

listen to 40oz to steppen razor to doing time to seed to falling idols.
    nothing changed?
  17. Sublime was also finished nearly 10 years ago. Come on people, not a good analogy. If I remember correctly the blue album and sublime's self titled release came out around the same time? Lets see, 311 has released 5 more studio albums as well as live albums and DVD's. You expect a band to keep playing to the same formula for that long? I dont blame them for changing, you cant keep releasing the same material over and over. They're doing what they like (with a hint of record company influence I'm sure, but hey, when you get to that level, it's to be expected). It's a different sound but it is still 311. Also, seeing them perform those new songs live made me appreciate them so much more.
  18. Zenereon

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm a huge 311 fan, and I love the new album. The reason SA got more parts in this is because this is kinda his album, like how Nick dominated Evolver.

P-Nut said the record label (Which they are now off) made them change some things, for the worse.
  19. That really does suck. It's a horrible thing that labels can force a band to change a song. Making suggestions is one thing, but to make an ultimatum is just plain ****ty. It happens I suppose when you're dealing with big whigs though. I had heard SA was going to be more present on this album before it came out, alot of people were rooting for that to happen. His singing has definately improved (not necessarily on a pitch basis, but just tonal delivery). The only track on the album that I absolutely cannot listen to is "Getting Through To Her." Something about it just bugs me. Whimsicle and bright songwriting is wonderful (Waiting, Speak Easy), but that song (getting through) is just downright too poppy for me, so I skip it every time. I must say, I really do favor Nick's songwriting.