1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3D Printing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Oct 26, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Interesting, I want to know more. I figured these would be unreachable because of price .

What kind of products could one produce?

3. First thing I'd print? Bacon.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't really understand 3d printing so it frightens me.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Like those newfangled cellular telephones? I hear kids take naughty daguerreotypes with them!

6. The electrical engineering staff at work has one that they purchased recently.
    They have produced some usable gearing that would in all probability cost a great deal otherwise.
    They have also made some pretty complicated brackets and pulley's.
    Jeff

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    A man was able to build a working gun from parts all made by a 3d printer. Not something I would build myself but a good example of what you can do.

8. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    When I was in high school, we had one in the robotics class, it took a pretty long time to make stuff, but it was amazing. We would print up experimental parts for our robots from them, remarkable stuff. Have you seen the man who's printing a Ferrari kit?

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    No. Does he have a huge printer? How would you make a chassis or bumper?

10. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I think he's printing it up in small pieces to assemble as the shell of the car, not sure, I read the article a while ago.

11. That gun fell apart after 6 shots, IIRC.

12. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I heard they (were?) or are going to send one up to the ISS. This would probably the single handiest tool up there, as spare pieces are expensive to replace each time something breaks.

13. grumpy-old-man.

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Those in-home ones aren't gonna produce anything of a tight tolerance (like a functioning gun should be). And it will take FOREVER to make anything of any considerable size and strength. Also, the material can be pretty sensitive to chemicals (I believe it's still some sort of polymer base/blend?).

So, metals and machined plastics will still be the mass manufacturing king for quite a while. Complicated and very strong parts are able to be made in minutes, where it would take hours upon hours for a 3D printer. Where a 3D printer is gonna be useful, is for prototyping. It takes a looooong time to set up a CNC and make one part that is perfect, so it's very expensive to a customer.

I work in a semi-high end machine shop in Portland OR, we don't have a 3D printer yet, but my boss is threatening to get one. I'll probably be taking classes for them soon so that someone at the company will be ready to use it (already taking programming classes, which will transfer over to the 3d printer).

15. I've worked with a few, I don't see the additive manufacture printers doing much for mass production, other mass production techniques are cheaper and sounder and are designed to produce large quantities. These things aren't. Granted, they can be useful for procedures where standard manufacture cannot produce a certain shape or shape within a shape and certainly useful for bespoke or prototype duties.

The printers may be getting cheaper but the cost of reels is still insanely high sadly.

On the note of the 3D gun, someone is going to get hurt using those templates. Different machines and different materials are going to have substantially different properties.

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i was just thinking they'd be handy at those research stations at the North Pole, for the same reason...

17. Space X uses one that prints metal and they use it for parts that were on their last rocket that docked with the ISS.

lowsound

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    That I hadn't heard of yet. I'll definitely look that up! I live to be proved wrong:)

19. I don't think your programming well help you with 3D printing, unless you're learning to use AutoCAD at the same time. Generally, the machines come with software. All you need then is a 3D model or 3D scan of an object.

20. manghu67

manghu67

Jun 13, 2011
    Omaha NE
    If you have an understanding of the engineering and manufacturing process, you'll know why this isn't happening. Fabricating good, correct parts is a lot more involved than most people think, and honestly, 3D printers are not that good.