1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 amps in question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Capela, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Capela

Capela

Oct 12, 2009
    Hello bass friends,

Got so many reviews in my head that is now hard to decide :)

I have 4 amps in my whishing list (very soon):

Epifani UL-502
    Streamliner 9.0
    Reidmar
    F1

I play with a Zon as I prefer a modern sound mostly. Would like to hear a punchy low end but tight and defined, crispy highs (not to arsh, just hi-fi) and balanced mids (slightly scooped, just a notch)

I have now a UL210 cab from Epifani. Maybe I will sell it or join another Epi 12.

I live in a country where is difficult to try so I would appreciate some comments ;)

What is the winner in terms of headroom, power and characteristics?

Take care and regards to all

Capela

2. I'd say in terms of power the Streamliner would be the loudest - especially with the 3DPM technology Genz is using now - but based on the tone you're describing, I don't know if that would be my first choice if I were in your shoes. The Streamliner has great gooey tube tone in a micro package, and I don't think I'd describe it as hi-fi.

I'd say the F1 would get you closer to what it sounds like you're looking for and that's a great head. Keep in mind that with MarkBass' NAMM release of the Big Bang, the F1 and F500 are being phased out. I've got no experience with either the UL502 or the Reidmar, but I'm sure they're both great pieces of gear.

Check out the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2/9.2 that were just released (search for it here and check the GB site) if you like the idea of a mix of the Streamliner and a more hi-fi tone you'd find in the F1/older Shuttles etc.