1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

401 unauthorised up blocked because of DOS attempts

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Moley13, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Hi there, I'm getting this message when I try to read talkbass posts! I opened a few posts in tabs, and only the first one loaded - the others give a 401. When I click "reply" on the one which did open, it also gives a 401. Waiting 5 min and refreshing doesn't help. I'm not attempting a dos... Help!

(on mobile data now, btw).

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I've removed your IP from the "locked out" list. Sorry about the inconvenience. Currently the anti-DOS software will block an IP for 48 hours if a user loads more than 11 pages in 7 seconds. A warning is issued first at 9 pages in 7 seconds, but if you're opening a bunch of tabs at once you're not going to see the warning. I'll relax these restrictions and see if we can't get rid of these false positives.

3. Ah, I see. I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't have loaded 11 pages (it was around 6), but I suppose 7 seconds could have included the homepage, login, back to homepage, then going through alerts opening tabs. I also had the mobile app open, not sure how the page loading works with that (seeing as you get post previews etc. on the "subscribed" page).

Thanks for looking into it, hopefully it doesn't happen again (although I'll go easy on the multi-tab browsing for now!).

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    No worries, I've disabled the anti-DOS plugin due to other issues. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Moley13 likes this.