Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

40's Czech Plywood Restoration

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 21, 2004.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have just aquired an old 1940's Czech plywood from my old highschool. The bass is in really sad shape. They can't afford to put any money into it, so they gave it to me. The neck was broken off at the block, the head is broken off, and the fingerboard cracked. The body has a nice coat of thick black paint, however it is in decent shape. I am ordering a new neck and ebony fingerboard for it. I have started stripping the paint and old varnish with a cabinet scraper. I hope to have it "in the white" by October. I am going to stain the body first in a dark brown, and then oil varnish it. I know that putting stain on bare wood is usually forbidden, but I want the bass to look old. I want it really dark. I am going to start finishing it after my luthier has installed the neck and fingergboard, and closed all of the seams. Check it out(not pretty I know;) )

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Good Luck ! I know where you can get glue cheap !

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    This must be Czech bass month. I just bought a plywood Czech flatback (probably about the same vintage) from an antique shop for $125. It's all in one piece (needs some glue though), but no bridge. It had "K O - - N O" painted across the lower bout in red and silver, and of course that went right into the finish, so now I've got to change my name.