1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410s What to Avoid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chainsaw Willie, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Here is a twist on the classic newb "what is the best bang for the buck" thread.

I am looking for my first 410 cabinet. The GK backline tiltback 100W 112 combo I have sounds pretty good to my ear, but runs out of clean headroom when the group gets loud. So I have a used 400RB being shipped to me, I have $200 left after the amp purchase to throw at a speaker cabinet.

I am not particularly persnickety about tone, I imagine there is a lot of stuff that will work just fine for me on Craigslist or used at the 5 Guitar Centers in the greater Seattle area.

So what I want to ask is not so much "What is the best for cheap?" (because the real answer is probably "spend more than $200 you lousy cheapskate!")

Instead, since i am establishing with my $200 budget that I am willing to compromise significantly on "the best", I think I want to ask "what cheap stuff should be avoided?"

I know I wanna go out and play and listen and decide with my own ears. But I would like to filter out the known and established losers before I go spending all evening driving to Tacoma and back to find the UNKNOWN BRAND ZZX410 weighs 130 pounds, is as big as a refrigerator, and sounds like a circus fat lady farting.

Actually any and all advise, recommendations, and even admonishments are welcome. Thanks.

Classic to modern rock, U2 to Foo Fighters, no slap, 5-string P/J bass...

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the $200 is like "life's blood" and precious, then buy from a used-goods shop that offers a warranty or a return policy, or from a local TB'er who is willing to stand behind the sale in case the cones are bad or whatever. If the money is not such a big deal, then buy off CL from "anybody" but make sure you can try before you buy, at a decent volume, to hear if the speakers are rattling/buzzing/dead.

3. I've never heard of that model from Acme. Their 4x10 is the B4 and it weighs far less than 130 pounds.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think he meant Acme as a generic brand, like on Roadrunner cartoons, not as in the actual company.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most 410 cabs are pretty good except the really low budget cabs. And you can find them all over the place used for $200 or even lower.

6. I know! :) I wuz pullin' his leg! :D

7. jsteez

jsteez

Aug 21, 2011
    Avoid the GK Backline 410 blx-ii it's like 100 lbs, and doesn't sound great unless using distortion

8. Oops! That is correct, in my ignorance I just plucked the name out of the cartoon universe, not realizing it was actually the name of a real manufacturer. My apologies to Acme. I will edit your name out of my post.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Find a good brand used rather than a piece of crap new. That head will provide the power and the tone shaping you need but the speakers have to broadcast it and that's one place you don't want to skimp. You won't be happy with your sound if you do.

As around here and you'll probably find another member with a 4x10 or 2x12 cab whose speakers aren't toast. I'd be cautious of what you find elsewhere in terms of getting something in that price range that's in good shape. Good 4x10 cabs aren't cheap.

You may want to consider selling the Backline and buying two 2x10 cabs for the added flexibilty of using a smaller setup similar to your Backline when a larger rig isn't needed.

10. I just sold my GK Goldline 4-10, and it has been a great cab for me. I recommend staying away from the Backline series, as it is sealed, and when pushed it doesn't sound good. The goldline is ported, and I gave it hell for 5 yrs @ way more watts than it's rated to carry. The goldline has aluminum drivers. It was $399 new, and I sold it and the matching 2-10 for $225.

I heartily recommend saving a few more dollars for a fEarful 15/6. That's what I replaced the 4-10 with.

11. Thanks for all the responses!

Currently on Craigslist there are a Behringer ultrabass BA410 and a Crate BXE410H. I have no experience with either, but I have a lot of negative talk about both. any one care to comment on these models or brands? I know sometimes a brand gets a bad rep for no good reason, I also know sometimes there is a very good reason though.

Thanks for the suggestions, now I am considering a pair of 210s as well (if I can sell the backline 112).

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get the Crate before I got the Behringer. Behringer stuff sounds like it's made out of cardboard. The Crate isn't the world's greatest but it's not horrible like the Behringer.

13. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    Avoid the Behringer at all costs, especially used :)

14. Peavey 410s are nice.

15. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Any used 410 Peavey is going to do ya fine.

16. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I'd have to agree about the Behringer- at least where speakers are concerned. I've been very happy with my bass v-amp pro, but that's a different thread. I haven't ever like the sound of any behringer product that had speakers or an amplifier. any of their stuff that affects signal (effects, DIs, mixers, EQs), I've always found to be a good value for the money. YMMV. good luck!

17. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    The older stuff was inevitably heavy but takes a thrashing. I've used Peavey gear more than once with my only gripe being about weight.

18. My Avatar B410N is great value.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Get a used Peavey 215 with Black Widows in it. Decent sound, good mid response, high SPL, cheap. The 400rb will make it loud but doesn't have quite enough to fart it out. The cab can go from warm and round/fat to cutting grindy mids and so can that amp. That about covers it.

20. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I had an Hartke XL that I bought for $175.00. Had a pretty good sound. May I emphasize the XL series. Definitely go used. I doubt that you will get anything new for that price. Also once in a while you will see a used Avatar popup.