4x8 vertical in-line cab. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darwin-bass, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Tall & skinny. Four 8" speakers in a semi-pseudo-sort-of-line array for bass. Tall enough to get some sound to your head. I would envision a 12 x 12 x 40 inch box, about the size for a small amp to sit on top.

What do you think?

Pbassmanca and SJan3 like this.
  2. Aka Trace Elliot Elf stack with bigger amp. Tom Bowlus approves.

See also Crazy88.

3. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    I don't see why not but the dimensions of the box will be demanded by the characteristics of the driver.

WaveyDavey and Shine like this.
  4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Lotsa folks like having a pair of 210s stacked vertically for the same benes, so maybe, if made with thin ply and well braced, this would make for easier load in/out?

Cool project, but definitely easier to just buy two 210s than to engineer and construct a cab.

shoot-r and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    For example i have a couple of this woofer which seems, although it has a foam surround, like the frequency response is excellent for bass guitar:

"TC-8034 8" Treated Paper Cone Woofer with Foam Surround 4 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Four of them will need a vented enclosure with a volume of 3.16 cubic feet.

This one might work well for bass too but will need a 7.4 cubic foot sealed enclosure for four of them: "Goldwood GW-8028 8" Butyl Surround Woofer 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    I was thinking Faital Pro 8” drivers, about $45 each.

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    this one? "FaitalPRO 8FE200 8" Professional Midbass 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

might work great. the PE website is great - most drivers, just scroll down to "optimum cabinet size" and it says how big it should be. Multiply by how many you are using. their support people can recommend a port diameter and length for a given application too.

There are calculators online that will help you figure out the design in terms of box length width and depth.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Ask David Luke at Revsound. I think people like them! (I love my 28s).

RS48VT | RevSound

9. Prolly want to do the math or get some engineering help.
    Random box sizes are hardly ever optimal.
    Hate to see you waste money on good speakers by putting them in a box that doesn't work well.

You are on the right track though, with the idea of a verticle stack.
    Good luck.

10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Man, I often like the sound of 6x8" and 8x8" cabinets, and you're describing basically half of an 8x8". I would love to hear a sealed one. And it'd be so tall yet small.

Pbassmanca, JRA and The Rage like this.
  11. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Yep, that's the speaker. I have one and have been impressed by its upper mid extension. Sadly, the optimum ported cab per Parts Express looks like an F3 of 52 Hz in a 1.2 ft3 box. That means the whole thing would be 5 cubic feet, 12 x 12 x 60!!! Oh, and it may give pipe resonances if I'm not careful. And with about 4mm of Xmax I suspect the array would be limited in power handling and overall volume.

But for $200 in speakers and some wood, it would be a fun project.

12. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Vertical 4x8 is a nice combination.

I'm going to be listing this pair of cabinets for sale soon. They have excellent Eminence neo drivers. They must not have sold very well, because Fender only made them for a short time. IMG_5566.JPG

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    At 92dB/1W/1M and 84dB/1W/1M, not a very good choice for bass guitar unless you like VERY low volume and I don't think you will find the high frequency response to be ANYTHING like what's mentioned. Maybe 1/2 that at 10dB down PERHAPS.
    I don't think you will find that you will be able to achieve the predicted response on this driver either, but you will get response past 5k at least.

For all of these drivers, you need to take the power handling with a grain of salt. They tend to ignore the power handling drop at low frequencies.

14. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    New Mexico
    Good idea. I have 4x 12"s, stacked in two cabinets on top of each other.Doesn't take up floor space in small venues.
    Look for drivers that handle at least 120 watts RMS each.

mexicanyella likes this.
  15. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    I don't have the url handy but I've seen a roundup of frequency response curves for a number of different "cabinet simulator" filters that try to make a flat-response PA sound like any of various popular bass cabinets. Nearly all of them roll off around 3khz.

On a 24-fret 4-string your highest fundamental is 392hz and your highest harmonics are between 4khz and 5khz.

Here is a 3khz test tone:

Here's 5khz:

With respect, I know it depends somewhat on your playing style, but how important is extension above 5khz to the average bass player?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    New Mexico
    Just checked the specs. on this & think that it would be great for PA vocals etc but you probably wouldn't get much low end grunt. Which is Ok if that's your style. But 4 x 10s in a vertical array would be better, dollar per SPL.

Marhmol likes this.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm saying that rolloff of 2.5k, based on my experience, is unacceptable to most bass players. Because of the harmonic distribution, there's quite a bit of information between 2.5k and 5k which is why you do not see these drivers used without a mid driver to support what's missing.

Regarding your supposed limit of 4-5k, I think you will find that there's a lot more harmonic information up there than you realize. We wouldn't work so hard on voicing if there wasn't.

Pbassmanca and Arjank like this.
  18. Don't forget a spare for backup:
    nnoggugtfassv30lqtp2.jpg

19. Who was that masked man that took a couple of those old PA towers and filled them with some very cheap parts express 8'' and it worked? Might be in the mini rig of doom thread or the janky rigs from hell one.

Pbassmanca, mpdd and BassikBrad like this.
  20. Thwack

Thwack

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Looks like someone mde the suggestion already but... RS48VT | RevSound
    RS48VT_2_grande.JPG

David's cabinets are otherworldly! Vertical array is the way!