Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string EUB - reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Justice, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have a (new to me) Ergo 5 string EUB. It is currently strung with Corelli Forte strings E-A-D-G-C (well it was untill the E unraveled at the tuning key)

I think I would like to restring it B-E-A-D-G and I would like a fairly low tension string. I bought the bass to play in a small 3 piece acoustic rock setting so I don't think I will be using the bow at all, I'm really just looking for the fat upright sound (or something close)

If I can't find something lower tension I will probably have to adjust the bridge to lower the string height some (i may do this anyway since I think it is a little high for me)

Anyway, i'm looking for some reccomendations on a new set of strings and maybe good places to purchase them.

I was looking at the Labella nylons but I don't think they are available in a 5 string.

Thanks

2. I play a big, antique fiver with the low B. No matter what you settle on for the top four strings, I would suggest at least using the Thomastik Orchestra low B. If you want any sustain at all, this is your only choice. Most low B strings are designed with the bow in mind....consequentely, no pizz sustain...only a clunk.
    I use all Thomastik Orchestra strings on my bass because of the long sustain. As you probably already know, these strings may kill you if you're not used to the tension.
    The Thomastik Starks are even worse in terms of tension, but they provide even more sustain and sparkle...( I sound like an interior decorator)
    Good luck!

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Corellis are already fairly low tension strings!
    The M gauge is lower tension than the F though.
    Fat upright tone with a thin steel string appears a difficult task to me.
    You may want to look at gut for low tension and fat tone.
    Or Jargar Dolces (steel) but then forget about sustain if that's important to you!

4. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    my google searches are coming up with nothing... does anyone make a set of black nylon uprught strings with a low B instead of the high C.

LaBellas only seem to have the high C , and Innovations strings are only in a 4 piece set.

5. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    To Justice.

I am (hopefully) receiving an Ergo 5-string very soon, so I just want to know if you are satisfied with yours? How are the strings it comes with?

6. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Well, i'm the 4th talkbasser to own this particular Ergo (serial number 0005!) And when I emailed Jesse the builder he said he was up near 160. So I can't really tell you about the original strings since they have been replaced by previous owners. It origianly came BEADG, but a previous owner restrung it EADGC. One of the previous owners also had the bridge redone and a new piezo pickup installed. Over all the quality of the bass is very solid and i'm in the process of getting ready to restring it back to BEADG.

I did make a pleasent discovery related to the Ergo the other day when I was messing around with it. The Ergo does not have a preamp built in and it really does not even have a volume control (at least mine does not) just a tone circuit. So as I was looking for simple ways to amplify it (just to play though headphones right now) I plugged it into my Behringer BDI21 http://www.behringer.com/BDI21/index.cfm?lang=ENG and this gave me much greater control over over the tone so whenever I get to taking it out to play live i'll be taking the BDI21 out as well.

I know that really doen't answer any of your questions but so far I like the Ergo, i just need to get it setup to my satisfaction.

7. Bass_me

Bass_me

Jun 7, 2005
    Denmark, Europe
    Thanks for your answer. I have a couple of questions more:
    What does it mean that it just has a tone circuit and not really a volume control?
    So to play "loud" you should have a preamp or is it just to get a better sound?

8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    From the Ergo site..

I found that suing the direct boc as kind of a preamp, let me get a hotter signal into my mixer and also gave me more tone shaping capabilities.

However you amplify the Ergo you will need an amp of some kind, if you play through a small combo amp, the preamp will be built in. If you are running straight into a mixer, you may want something like the BDI21 that I have to boost the signal going to the mixer from the bass.