1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Fingerboard width

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Co., Apr 23, 2009.

1. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Does anyone around here know, how wide a normal fingerboard of a five string bass is at the end?

My four string bass seems to have a pretty wide board and I'm thinking how easy (or hard) it might be to convert it to a high C and C-Extension. Or is it normal to replace the whole board?

2. The width dimensions of my Kolstein Panormo model five string bass are 97mm straight across the under side of the bridge end of the board and 110mm around the arc. The nut end of the fingerboard is 45mm wide. The string centers are about 25mm or 1" apart, leaving about 5mm of board beyond the outer strings at the bridge end.

Howard Miller

3. This is a correction to my last post. The fingerboard dimensions are correct but the string center to string center dimension given as 25mm is at the bridge, rather than the bridge end of the fingerboard. At the bridge end of the fingerboard the string separations are 20mm, leaving about 14mm of fingerboard beyond each of the outer strings.

Howard Miller.