1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi guys,

I am thinking about a new bass. I want something bright with great tone. Over the years I have heard some great sounding Fender Precisions.

What is the overall consensus on 5 string versions of these basses? I know the traditional 4 string is a well regarded bass. Any reason why the 5 string would not be the same scenario?

Thanks,

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All of the quality five string P-basses I know of are well regarded like Fender, Lakland, Lull, Nordstrand, Sadowsky, etc. I would guess that Sandberg is good too, I just don't know much about them.

Yamaha makes the BB series with are not quite P-basses, but they certainly have Precision style pickups.

3. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There has been a lot of discussion on the new Carvin Precision offerings in 4 and 5 string. I own a couple of Fender P5s and am very fond of them. I would, however, strongly consider a Carvin P5 if I was in the market for one.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I forgot about Carvin.

5. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    I own an LowEnd PJ5. I love this bass. I went with the PJ to be more versatile. If I need that Raphael Saddiq sound I just turn knob and if I need more modern, hey I just dial it back to original spot. The older I get, the more I'm liking the P sound more.

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

If you like Fender P-basses the Fender P5 is that with a low B. You'll be happy.

7. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I'm biased, as I'm getting a bass from Grove Guitars myself, but I think the '51 P on their site looks amazing!

8. 5string fender pbass with bright and great tone? maybe you should look out for American Deluxe pbass V like mine

1017331_634930616519691_1718717691_n_zps93801db3.

9. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I just picked up an '08 MIA Fender P5, and it's great!

It came with some really dead Fender flats, and I replaced those with some Pro-Steels - really nice deep sound, and plenty of brightness. I do have a Delano pup in order, but the stock pickup sounds really nice.

10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you like the Fender sound then a Fender P5 might be a good place to start your search.

I've been playing a Lull PJ5 for 2 years now and for me it beats the few Fenders I've tried hands down. Most bass builders have their own take on tone, but Mike Lull has tried to build a P5 that sounds like an early 60's Pbass.

I don't use the J pickup and I do use Lakland flats. He's made the best playing and sounding P5 I've ever played.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I just sold my Fender American Std Precision 5 string yesterday. It was a great bass, but not my own first option as 5 strings go. But it did what you want a Precision bass to do - funky, with some nice mids and lows. And the B string was definitely solid.

I didn't manage to find a set of roundwounds that I really liked for the Fender P5, but I did really like the way a set of D'Addario Chromes flatwounds sounded on that bass. I got the bass new, complete with Fender roundwounds. And then I tried some Dean Markley Blue Steels on it since I've been using those for years. But I think a different set of roundwounds might have yielded some better results.

So why did I sell my P5? It wasn't because the bass was inadequate. On the contrary, it did what you want a Precision bass to do. But I've also been in the process of building a 4 string P-Bass over the past month or so, and I foresee that bass doing what I need a P-Bass to do. And I'm also looking for another 5 string that will serve as a backup to my main 5 string which is a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string. My feeling is that a 5 string Jazz would better suit my own needs.

If money weren't an object, I probably would have kept my Precision 5 string. It was a solid instrument that played well. The weight and balance were great.

12. I'm a P-guy, and have owned several P5s from several makers, including Fender. Unfortunately the Fender came out at the bottom of the list. Not that it's a 'bad' bass, but the others were all just 'better', from my personal playing and tonal expectations. The B was'OK', but not panty-dropping.

My best P5 is a Wilkins Roadtested. Those can be pricey, but IMHO are worth every penny and more.

In the Fender price range, I have a Carvin B50 that I modded into a P5 and it is tops. It costs new what a used Fender costs. I have heard great things about the new Carvin P5 series, though I have not played one since I have the B50.

My Lakland P's were great, but are 35", which I find less comfortable 34" for me. YMMV.

13. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Attached Files:

14. They are great basses if you dig 35" scale!

15. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do the 55-64s only come in 3TS or are other colors available?

16. I think Skylines are only Black or 3TSB

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have the 5 string deluxe. Neck is relly thick IMHO. Body is good, electronics are good (I did have the body cavity shielded), I love the look of the maple neck and the finish is good. It is a typical bullet proof Fender. Nothing fancy, but a Fender P bass. The neck is just so thick. It makes it hard to play, for me.
    IMG_0566. IMG_0568.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

The Roscoe Beck V often gets the thumbs up as the best fiver ever offered by Fender. My opinion is that the ADPV is the winner. I have owned two ADPVs as well as the Roscoe Beck, and while both were excellent, I found the P be far more usable in most all situations.

Most speculate that the ADPV became priced out of the Fender catalog. Maybe it's true that people don't want to play that much for a Fender, but they sure were amazing. I will they'd bring them back to be the sister to the ADJVs they build now.

19. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    there are also butterscotch LOG bass versions out there.

here is sample pictures of mine (on your right):

DSC06361.

DSC06357.

I really love mine!

I know of one for sale (not mine)....if you are interested, PM me and I can get you the info for the seller.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Basspraiser, do you have a closeup of your 55-64 with the sunburst finish and the P/j pups? That is one handsome bass!