1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

52 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engle, Feb 24, 2016.

1. My drummer who plays in a community big band messaged last night to say one of the elderly members of that band has a 52 Precision Bass they want to sell.

I immediately asked if it was an actual 1952 or a re-issue and it turns out its an original.

A quick google search later, I see this bass could be worth upwards of 10K. I wouldn't want it for my collection - I'd be afraid of it getting damaged and/or stolen!

However I feel like I should help this elderly musician to make sure they don't get ripped off. (And I wouldn't mind playing it for a few minutes....)

If I go to see it, is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I don't know specifics of early fenders - guess it's time to do some research!

2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    TB member @Bflat is a wealth of knowledge on the original Precision. Hopefully he'll chime in with some info.

GregC likes this.
  3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Depending on condition, worth actually way north of 10! Depending on when in '52 it's dated (it could be as early as a January bass) that could mean it was made in only third month of P Bass existence. Crazy rare.

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Take some detailed pics of the tuners, bridge (and serial #), pg, pickup, etc. The bridge should have fiber saddles, although they might have deteriated over the years and been replaced w/ steel. Original example could have slot head screws as well. Would love to know more about it.
    Bflat could add lots to the conversation.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Tbone76 likes this.
  5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'd love to see photos...

6. Here are a few pictures from the Fender Bass Book showing some details from the earliest P Basses. The pressed fiber saddles, serial number on the bridge paste, lacquered pickguard and distinctive thumb rest are obvious details to look for. image.

design, Helix and 2saddleslab like this.
  7. Your good deed is duly noted. May good fortune be returned to you 100-fold. :)

8. Found this one listing for $11,900 + $45 Shipping:
    Fender Precision Bass 1952 Blond | Reverb

Reverb also estimates the price range from $9,000 — $16,000.

Hope you're able to take and post some pics!

9. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Watching. And hoping for photos.

reddog, Aberdumbie and pudgychef like this.
  10. Thanks, but I haven't done anything yet!
    I have met most of the folks in that band - lot's of really nice old timers.
    I was going to join, but I couldn't bring myself to wear the blue polyester jacket;) My drummer buddy just rocks the big band tunes!

11. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Ask the gentleman if he will let you take pictures Let him know your Talk Bass member .id bet he would love for us all to see he bass.Cool post thanks.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Talk to the guy. At the very least you could help him make a sale (and make a friend). He may just want it to go to a good home, and bringing it to attention here is a great way to get it to an actual player, not an overseas collector - nothing to lose - lots to gain.

Tbone76 likes this.
  13. Yes that's exactly what I was thinking. I'll be seeing my drummer at practice tonight so I'll ask more questions and see if I can line up a visit.

14. I'd love to see some photos of this bass. This may even be a missing piece of Fender history.

15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'll start the bidding unseen, right now at $9500.00! :chicken:

Kikegg, Gaolee and brendanbassix like this.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Subscribed

17. Twangster101

Twangster101 You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?

Aug 6, 2012
    South Mississippi
    Me too

18. Very cool! I have a reissue of that bass, an original would be so awesome ....

19. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I'LL TAKE IT!!!!! :woot:

pacojas likes this.
  20. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Tbone76,
    Mr bflat here, would love to see pics of this great piece of history!! would like to see the serial number, and controls cavity, etc.

pacojas, design, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.