1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6-string fretless pickup/electronics help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by T.O.Bass, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Heya! I'm desiging a 6 string fretless for my first home build and I have most everything figured out except for the pickups and wiring because, I'll admit, I know jack about electronics. :confused:

I need input on what setup would provide an aggressive, punchy tone (this fretless will be used for mostly thrash/funk, and in general, fast, aggressive music - my playing style is kind of claypool on meth). Also, I want it to be versatile in that I want to have high, mid1, mid2, and low eq (and volume and blend of course). I'm thinking J pups, but beyond that I have no idea where to go. *Edit* I assume that active would be my best bet right? I want lots of versatility and lots of punch and grind.

I've looked online and read countless stuff on this website, but the one conclusion I've come to is there are a gajillion different options here and there's no way I can narrow it down unless someone points me in the right direction. Any suggestions?

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If you want a punchy, agressive, modern sound, try soapbars (dual coils, with large apertures). I think the only off-the-shelf preamp with 4 EQ bands is audere, so you can go with that.

I'm not well versed in pickup choices, so i can't help you there.

3. Sweet, thanks. The Audere classic 4 band is just what I was looking for. Now I just need to figure out those pups...