1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-stringers - which string do you use more, Low B or High C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jjango, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I use the low B more often.

49 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. I use the high C more often.

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. I use them about the same amount.

29 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious. :)

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    They were both equally useless to me.

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I'm so very used to playing in first position that I've not been using the B in the middle of the neck like I should. Consequently, the C gets use on fills and such more than the B for meat and potatoes walking bass or ostenato lines.

I am working on this, however. When I first picked up a bass with a low B, I thought it was mainly there only to play B thru Eb, but I know different now.

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    A better thought-out thread would include a poll that offered three options... "B string", "C string", and "I use them equally", with no options for trolls who do not play sixers. Given that it stands to reason that both strings will be used equally (unless the bassist is involved in some sort of music that ignores one of the two), the question as the OP worded it is lacking.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    A B string is great to have and is a terrible thing to use too much.

My C string allows me to write and communicate in the higher register with greater ease.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm not a big solo guy. I like to hold down the bottom. If my 6 didn't sound so good I would sell it. I rarely use the C. When I do, it's because I'm making myself do it, not because I need/want to.

7. Depends on how the B string is being used. I tend to use my B string above the 5th position as much as below. If you have the right string/scale length/construction, the B can sound VERY consistent with the E string.

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Huh? Those are exactly the choices I offered in my poll. :confused:

What option did I put for trolls? :confused: Your post has me completely confused.

9. UnderTone

UnderTone

Mar 22, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    i believe he typo'd and meant you should've put in a 4th option for trolls such as "pie"

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't own a sixer, but I have tuned my fiver to EADGC before (of course, I switched to a lighter set of strings to do this).

It was very cool to open up those higher-pitched melodic possibilities, but to me, the C tension was uncomfortably high.

I liked the C-string, but eventually I went back to BEADG. So I suppose if I had a sixer, I'd probably play the B-string more often.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use the C more often.

I think Anthony Jackson is a great, and rare, example of how to use the low notes on a B very often and still create fantastic lines that fit.

12. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dang! This is my first poll here, I forgot the "carrots" option! :rollno:

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Low B, definitely. I rarely use the high C, and sometimes wonder if I should just trade my MTD 635 for a 535. But, I always think better of it as I haven't found a 535 that I like as much as my 635.

14. Then we're not talking to you. ;)

Low D on a BEADGC-tuned 6 is my favorite note. I also like the low E on the B; it sounds more consistent w/the other fretted notes & you can bend & add vibrato. I use the C a bit more at home, zoning out w/a looper & making up tunes, but live I don't hit it very often.

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    About the same, i guess. The B's great for getting in that low low note when you need it, and i'm on the C string for melodies about as often.

16. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Man, I wasn't on my game this morning and didn't even see the poll. Nothing but apologies here.

17. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    +1

It seems there's still a group of owners who see the B string only as five extra notes.

18. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, but no apologies necessary, Auriaprottu – my mind is in a continuous Monday-morning, haven't-had-my-coffee-yet state. ;)

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    In my 6str basses (namely 1 Prima and 2 Prima Artist Dingwalls), the B string is used more often cause of the "groove" factor, while the high C is used for "extensions" and soloing, thus not as frequently (but definitely not sparingly). So B string sees more action in general

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    My second bass was a six string I bought when I was 15. I paid for it myself and while a lot of money for me at the time (around 1992 or 93) it was not a really high quality bass. Well, more specifically it was a pretty nice five string bass E-C but with a very floppy/undefined B string.

Consequently I ONLY used the B string for notes below low E and didn't really use the B outside of first position except as a thumbrest. So obviously I used the C string a lot more.

My next two basses were five strings tuned EADGC with a detuner on E. It wasn't until a few years ago when I played a few basses with really solid, even and great sounding B string. I've been exclusively a 4 string player the last two years but now have an ADG sixer on order. I'm guessing that soon I'll be able to say I use the B and C strings equally.