1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 Strings on a Budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Nov 1, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    My birthday is comming up and I want to get a 6 string bass. I haven't played that many in past so i don't really know what to look for and there aren't that many places by that sell 6ers. I'm open to all suggestions of any brand. I would like to buy used and i have my Eye on the Spector legend 6. Suggest away.

Brandon

2. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The Ibanez Soundgear 6 is GREAT if you can get the truss and bridge to work with eachother (about 20 minutes of simple work). The spector is nice, but I found the weighting a little bit odd. Anyhow, I just looked it up on ebay and there's one on auction right now for about 800. A little steep on the price, and you should prolly go play whatever you're gonna buy before you commit. Here's the auction, by the way:http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-SR-1206-...ryZ38080QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and you might want to ask some of the Essex players about the Brice 6's. I heard those were great for the price (about 450-500)

3. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Wait....do you go to Pali?? Brandon?

Another avenue could also be just gettin' a fretted wishbass and getting whatever design you want! base price is 300, add 2 strings for 200, add frets for 100 and you got a 600 dollar boutique bass of your own thinking. wishbass.com, or ebay.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I'd also recommend the Ibanez Soundgear 506--a lot of bass for $600 new. Also you can probably find a used Peavey Cirrus 6 for under a grand. I had one--great bass--but switching from a 34" scale 4 string to a 35" 6 was a bit if a shock for my hands so I traded it for a Cirrus 5. I've seen a fair number of Yamaha and Carvin 6s floating around for good prices.

Especially since you're new to the 6 I'd recommend trying any you can get your hands on to figure out what string spacing/scale length/neck profile works best.

5. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    The 6 string bass that has felt the best for me neck wise was a Zon Sonus 6. The scale was perfect i didn't like th pickup configuration and that finger ramp it had.

6. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    tune guitar technology twb6, samash.com

7. Ghost_85

Ghost_85

Jun 20, 2006
    Cambridge UK
    if your on a budget perhaps Warwick's Rockbass range might be the way to go

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Shine make great basses for the money.

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  10. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Bump

11. I've just sold a Washburn SB126 for £190 which was an absolute bargain considering how good they are. Very fast necks ( I bought it for £130 )

12. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    How to Washburns hold up? Are they made to last for a while or wil they break down on me in a year?

13. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
  14. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    IMO and all that... i think there are two huge contendors for this...

Peavey Grind 6 - That old underestimated business, fantastic bass.

Cort A6 or B6 - active circuitry, Barts, great prices too.

15. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Go with the Ibanez SR506. I just bought one two weeks ago. Bartolini electronics for $600. Seems very well weighted for six, tone is neutral. Frets buzz a bit, but that's probably a setup thing. So far, seems like a very good bass for the money. And most importantly, it made the transition from my musicman 4-string very easy. In some ways, it is easier to play than my musicman, albeit not for slapping. You'll enjoy six strings, but if you're going to buy one site unseen, buy something that will be reliable good like the Ibanez. I think you'd want to play a brice before you buy it, as they don't cost that much less and they certainly don't have bartolini electronics. My 2 cents.

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I picked up a Douglas at Rondomusic about 6 months ago that they were blowing out at $99 and I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is. Rock solid neck, 2 truss rods, amazing action, sounds awesome (although I've never taken it to a gig)... it's one of those basses that I can't put down once I pick it up. I think they go for around $150 regular price and IMO ya can't go wrong. If you don't like it you can sell it on craigslist for $125 and someone will pick it up.