62 P-bass pickups wiring issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkflats11, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    So I just rewired my Squier p-bass using American Vintage '62 Precision Bass wiring guide (http://support.fender.com/diagrams/basses/0190116C/SD0190116CPg2.pdf) and 62 precision pickups.

The bass sounds great now much clearer and even deeper, but for some reason I my volume and tone do only work partially ie. the volume does not drop to nothing. I know that everything is wiring properly and checked the connections with an meter.

Anyone have a clue to why my volume doesn't work?

2. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    Is the 3rd lug on the volume pot wired to ground?

3. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    No I ran that to the pickups using the white wire or the capacitor depend on the direction you're looking.

4. Third terminal of the volume pot needs to be grounded.

5. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Ok so now slightly confused is the 3rd terminal or lug where the white wire from bridge pickup is or the where the capacitor is connected to?

Also, the diagram does not call for it to be grounded at the 3rd spot is this standard practice that one should do with any bass they are working on?

Thanks

6. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    In that diagram it's not clear, but the right-most lug of the volume pot in the diagram should go to ground (along with the cap).

7. Yes it does, the third terminal is grounded in the diagram.
    4156944776_05d4eab872_o.png

Yes, it is standard practice to ground the third terminal.
    A volume control does it's job by diverting the signal to ground. Without the ground, you are only adding series resistance to the signal path.

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Another bass saved thanks to LINE6MAN!

it could be your super hero name...

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you look closely at the drawing in the OP you'll see the third lug being grounded to the back of the pot via the cap lead. The black spots in the pic are solder blobs.

10. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Awesome, thanks I'll give it a try over the weekend. If it works my re-worked p-bass will be complete.

11. fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Jun 30, 2010
    I have a similar issue. Same pickups. Wired to 62 schematic, but the tone pot is not working.

I saw this wiring diagram and was wondering if I should wire like this, but what would the effects be on the sound?

What's the difference?

Attached Files:

12. Electronically, both are identical.
    Physically, they are arranged in different ways.

It doesn't matter which one you choose, they are both the same.

13. fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Jun 30, 2010
    I'm new to P-Basses so bear with me . . .

I wired it up per the '62 instructions.

I thought I found the problem when I wired it the other way. The tone pot made audible changes to the sound. The treble was able to roll off.

But after some experimenting I noticed that the tone knob seems to work fine when the volume is up to about 8, after that the volume goes way up and the tone control does not work.

I tried a different pot and I get the same thing.

The pots are 250K (CTS), the cap is .047mfd Orange Drop tone capacitor.

Please advise.

14. fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Jun 30, 2010
    I figured out the problem!

The hot wire on the input plug was grounding out on the conductive paint shielding. It did not look conductive; it looked more like an epoxy coating.

Here's what happened:

I took the bass to Guitar Center as the luthier said he would tell me what was going on. We plugged it in and it sounded good with little change in tone. He told me this was because of the flatwounds.
    But later on at band rehearsal I noticed the level was really low. I thought this was because it was a passive pickup. So I strap the bass on and the sound cuts out. Aha! I wiggle the plug and the volume goes way up. I then mess with tone knob and now I can hear the difference. The swithcraft plug hot terminal was touching the wood of the bass and grounding out.
    I bent the solder point in, wrapped it in electrical tape and it's now fixed. The highs roll off when I turn the pot.

So in the end my ears were correct.

-A similar thing happened with the SVT3 Pro I tried to purchase there. They were all (3 amps) bad and were distorting. The managers told me that was the Ampeg sound. I then went to another shop and the difference was amazing, the ones at the other location sounded amazing, as I knew they would. So in the end I talked to the Ampeg rep and he told me that they must have had a bad batch, and that he was sure I was correct and would recall those units.

So now I will never doubt myself when it comes to things like this . . . again.

Thanks everybody!

15. DMarchbanks

DMarchbanks

Jan 14, 2020
    I know this thread is old but was looking at the diagram and there is no ground wire to output jack to pot, is that right should there be one?

Thanks

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021