Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'69 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Mar 3, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

This is my new-to-me 1969 Precision. Everything about the bass is original with the exception of the pickguard (which I'd like to change to a nicer tort or possibly black). It has been well played over the past 36 years. Despite significant fret, fretboard and neck wear, it plays great all the way up the neck. The bass is light and resonant, and the tones are incredible. There's nothing like the sound of a P-Bass.

I would like to bring it up to optimum playing condition. As I mentioned, the frets are worn, and there are grooves in the fretboard. The back of the neck has several spots where it's down to bare wood. This bass will probably never appeal to the hardcore collector, but are there things I can do to improve the bass while maintaining its integrity? Does it even matter at this point?

Also, the neck appears to be quartersawn rather than flatsawn maple. Is this possible?

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Nice score.
    I just pickup a 1966-p-bass.
    Your right nothing sounds as good.

3. That thing is bitchen.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweet.

Do what you want to it to make it a great player and play it.

5. Thanks guys. I'm experimenting with a new digital camera, so here's a close-up of the body. . .

6. i say keep it like that. its got moxy

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Yeah!!! :cool:

That's what I call a bass with massive mojo. :bassist:

Except for a new set of strings, I wouldn't change a thing if it were mine. :)

Congratulations,
    - Art

8. Congratulations on your '66, Mojo-Man. Have you posted pictures on TB?

9. People *dream* about that.
    Your search is over.
    PLAY!

10. It's weird, because I did kind of dream about it. Last week my brother and I made a plan to hit all the good guitar shops in Boston over the weekend. Last Friday night while I was in that twilight state between waking and sleeping I got it into my head that I was going to find an old Precision. The '69 was hanging on the wall of the first shop we visited.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Wow! What an awesome P!
    You shouldn't need to do much of anything to it for gigging. I gig regualarly with a '69 Jazz.
    I wouldn't worry about the grooves the the frets or fretboard. Just take to a good shop and have the frets leveled or crowned and a good setup, adjust the pickup hieght to optimum level. Good to go!

12. Put some flats on that thing and PLAY IT!!!!!!! I have a 66 J-bass and there's something about old basses that have beed played. Your P looks like a tone machine. By the way, once you put your flats on there, never change them, and definitely never clean them.

13. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    STOP SHOWING THOSE PICS OF THAT P!!!!!!!!!!!! You're making me regret selling it!!!!!!!!!
    If you need to get the frets cleaned up, see Jim Mouradian in Cambridge. There is not another person on this planet who does better fretwork. Gimme a buzz and I'll pass his number on.
    And thank you!
    Corey

14. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I wouldn't do a thing to it either. It looks like George Porter's bass!

15. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Corey, I went to topheavyrock.com, and xxx toolbars assaulted my machine. Thought you'd like to know.

16. Hi Corey. Thanks again for the bass and for your time last weekend. You guys rock. I will give Jim a call, at the very least for a pro setup with flats. He did a phenomenal headstock repair on my brother's Gibson last year.

17. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Ben,
    Sorry about the invasion on our site. That's never happened before. I'll get the webmaster to see what's up. I'll go to the site myself in a minute and see if it gets me.
    If you want to hear some Topheavy, we are on www.garageband.com
    Just do a search for "topheavy". Chris has about 8 songs loaded up there, and we've done pretty well in the copetitions. I hope you're a fan of Gin Bloosoms and Westerberg! L.O.L.!! :D
    Hey Tightbidness,
    Call Jim and get the bass tweaked as you like. If you just need it tweaked and set up for flats, I'll be happy to do it while you wait at no charge(except strings). Gimme a buzz! Love that bass to death.
    Corey

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I wouldn't mess with the cosmetics either ... great bass! Mind if I ask what you paid?

19. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Ben......I checked the Topheavy site, and I didn't see a problem. What do you use for a browser? Mozilla Firefox ROCKS!
    Corey

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    WOW.

stunning.

this makes my rusty '75 a NOS instrument!

great score anche enjoy.