77 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peter_brendler, May 16, 2005.

1. peter_brendler

Nov 25, 2003
    I was wondering if anybody can help me out w/this. I'm looking at buying what I think is a 77 Fender Jazz Bass (serial S734904.) The guy is asking what I think is way too much, but I was wondering if any of y'all know what a reasonable price for this would be. The bass is in very good condition. Thanks in advance for the advice. Peter
  2. What is in your oppinion way too much?
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    If you can see all the hardware, the pickups and electronics are original I'd say $1500 is a good round figure for fully playable bass. Otherwise much less if parts have been replaced or there has been a re-finish or neck repairs. Also make sure the truss rod can tighten and loosen the neck.
  4. I would say between 1000 and 1500 is fair if the bass is in very good condition and/or a good player.
  5. peter_brendler

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the help. That's about what I was thinking. Peter
  6. jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Don't leave me in suspense...

What was he/she looking for?
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    One thing you might want to consider is to hunt for either a MIJ or MIA 75 re issue, I just picked one up used and it nails that 70's bark to the T!
    You can get them a lot cheaper an MIJ should go for 550 to 650 and a MIA, 800 to 1000. Like all Fenders there a crap-shoot, you'll play a lot before you hit "the one" but thats true of the 70's too. Fender wasn't known for great craftsmanship in that era, and there's a lot of real mediocre stuff out there under the "vintage 70's" category. My fear with the "vintage 70's" is that when you start getting up around 1700-2500 there are an awful lot of far better put together basses that can get that vibe. Sadowsky Metros, Lakland Daryl Jones 1000-1300 NEW!, and some of the Fender custom shop stuff (which is far better put together then most of the 70's stuff IMO). Unless your a collector, or getting a great deal, Just food for thought, not to hijack the thread or anything!
  8. peter_brendler

Nov 25, 2003
    To end your suspense, jasonc, the guy was asking $2500 for it. It's a nice bass, but definitely not worth that kind of loot.