'97 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyral210, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Hi everyone. Just got my new bass and I have to share it with you. I am so in love with it!

3877554773_13d4a6aa06.jpg

Name = Twilight (because she sparkles!)

:bassist:

2. And you're right to be; that is one killer looking bass. It also is one of the best sounding fenders out there. Too bad they discontinued the 5-string version.

Is the color Shoreline gold? Hard to tell sometimes, but I think only Fender does this color right.

Congrats!

3. tonester

tonester

Jun 1, 2009
    chicago il
    commercial user
    very nice bass,im guessing it sounds great also!

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I think it might be. The colour is just magical! In some lights it looks liek shimmering silver, in others faded gold. The colour changing is just magic!

And yes, it sounds soo amazing it hurts! I have never before loved EQ, but the EQ on this bass is to die for. I can dial in phat tones and killer metal tones and everything in between.

I think £750 including flight case was a good move. Its amazing that even though its a '97 bass, there is zero belt buckling or wear anywhere on the body. Sadly there is some fret board damage, but nothing a good tech can't fix.

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    P.S - Do you think a Badass Bridge III would be a good upgrade, or should I just let this bass be as Fender intended?

6. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Let it be as Fender itended it to be. If it sounds good the way it does, leave it alone - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." When I bought my Fender P bass, I thought I would upgrade too, I bought a Badass II for it. Well . .. . I ended up not liking how it compressed the Fender tone, and I believe it actually took away from some of the roundness. Needless to say, I put the standard vintage bridge back on it, and besides the 62RI p/u and OD cap, everything else is stock.

7. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Inca Silver!

8. That would have been my second guess. From the photo, it looks like you're right! Also a killer color.

From what I remember, the bridge on these are of good quality. I personally wouldn't change a thing on that bass. The only 'hassle' is that it runs on 18v, then again the sound has a lot to do with that.

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Really? It only has a single 9v battery cavity and the official Fender stats don't mention anything different.

10. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
  11. They switched to 18 V later on. Earlier models are 9 V, that's what you have.

12. I'm getting one too! It's gonna be here next week

[​IMG]

Trans teal which i think is discontinued, these basses are really something!

13. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    God yeah! It was a toss up between this and an American Standard Jazz. The American Standard Precision just didn't cut it for me.

14. Didn't know that; only had experience with the 18v ones. Thanks for this.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My absolute favorite Fender bass. Great tone, feel, and looks. It's the tri-fecta of bass. win-win-win. Congrats.

16. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Get outta town!

I've looked at that chart before but I didn't trust it as their pic of Lake Placid Blue looks nothing like my 1997 Am. Std. P-Bass.

I thought yours was Inca Silver because I remember that was a standard color they were offering in 1997. I think it was (at least) Black, 3-Tone, Lake Placid Blue and Inca Silver.

However, yours is an Am. DELUXE P-Bass... so congrats on the Shoreline Gold! :bassist:

17. youngMacJ

youngMacJ

Sep 7, 2005
    How is the tone when you are slapping on this bass?

18. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    exactly like mine... same color & same neck (Shoreline Gold is the winner) I love her.... clearest most solid pitch tone I've ever gotten from a Bass, I really am wanting a 5er........

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021