1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A $160 full-range 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schecter4, May 10, 2009.

1. Schecter4

Schecter4

Oct 20, 2007
    I posted the details at-

http://jerry.cork.googlepages.com/coffeehousecab

[​IMG]

Summary:

It's designed to be cheap and easy to build. There are plenty of technical flaws I ignored in the interest of being cheap and easy to build.

It is NOT designed for practice with a rock band; it just won't get that loud.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    So this is a cheap cab made for practice?

I dont see this being ethical. Why not buy a cheap practice amp for that price, seeing this cab wont work without some kind of head or power supply.

I guess Im more comfused than anything.

3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I think you might be better off with a BFM Omni 10 or soemthing

4. Schecter4

Schecter4

Oct 20, 2007
    For practice (which is often lower in volume than performance). It makes plenty of volume for some types of music, but I doubt it would do for R&R with a big drumset. Most of the rock bands I have been involved with liked to practice LOUD.

ethical

1. of or based on a system of moral beliefs about right and wrong
    2. in accordance with principles of professional conduct

Now I am confused.

I have a head already, that I move from home to practice. I just don't want to move a speaker cabinet; it's a lot more trouble. It's one load for a head and a gig bag.

I haven't heard that many practice amps under $200 that had a tone and volume I liked. Although the speaker I used is pretty low-end for Eminence, I think it's probably much better than what is common in small practice amps.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Replace ethical with functional, my bad.

I was just stating my opinion, something these threads call for. It looks like a solid cab for practice, but I just dont see its benefits over a movable practice combo.

IMO!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    how does it sound? I'm assuming you're primarily using it for home practice and entertainment. Looks cool, which always helps if it's in the living room.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    If you like the tone I think it looks kind of neat, and the only drawback is the power handling. An upgraded speaker and additional bracing for the SPL would increase the price, but probably still keep it affordable and relatively easy to build. Nice work.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Cloning an Avatar SB112 doesn't cost much more than that and it's a cab that is giggable ...

Good on ya for getting the idea and taking it to completion. This is to my mind an answer looking for a question though...

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Wow, tough audience this morning.

Personally, I think it's cool. It answers the question posed by the OP's needs just fine, and like he said, he wants to use his head, which makes this -- for his needs -- a much better solution than a practice combo.

Cheers,
    Liam

10. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'll bet two of them would work fine for rehearsals (And perhaps gigs), plus with the two small cabs that would be very portable. Lovin the 2 X 112.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All things considered it's probably a better cab than most commercial 1x12s under the $300 price point, and the equal of more than a few that go for a lot more.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Looking through the ports, it doesn't look like you have any stuffing in the cabinet.

Paul

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Good job and attention to design detail.

Line the cab with a cheap foam mattress topper!

EDIT: Paul and I posted simultaneously...he beat me to it.

14. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound

Nov 29, 2008
    Regardless of the design or performance, good on you for making something rather than just talking about it!

Hope it meets all your needs and expectations.

With that said, I personaly like building from professional plans as the material cost is insignificant relative to my time and the cost of a decent speaker.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The OP mentioned in his linked text that he used polyester batt. ;)

16. I read your blog piece on the cab and am impressed. Not only does it look like it can handle the competition from a couple acoustic guitars and a small drum kit, esthetically it looks like it would fit into the decor of a coffeehouse. Good job.

17. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Builder: Bottom Line Bass Cabinets
    Why 4 tweeters?

18. Schecter4

Schecter4

Oct 20, 2007
    I take that as high praise indeed, far beyond my design goals of cheap, and easy to build.

I could save a few bucks with cheaper plywood (but I had never tried Baltic Birch- I'll never go back). I could have saved $10 or so with a simpler wiring solution for the piezos with a lower parts count (I wasn't sure going into it just how many would really be needed, and how much flexibility I'd need for attenutating them). A different grill solution could also save a few bucks (I had never tried this one).

I think with some cost cutting you could build one for $125. Whether doing so is useful to you or not is certainly open to debate :)

What actually started me down the 'cheap road' was the fact that there were so many good improvements "for just a few dollars more ..." I had a hard time deciding where to draw the line. My solution to that dilemma, was to make everything as cheap as possible, and that lead to this design.

As others noticed, I took the pics before I stuffed the box. I did do a little bracing, but only so far as gluing strips on the long sides where it is likely to flex (but that's more accurately reinforcement than bracing).

How does it sound? I don't own a spectrum analyzer, and that's the only way to really describe it accurately. Compared to the SWR 2x10C Combo box, it sounds deeper to me and not as sterile. There may be some mid-loss between 1k and 3k (at the very least I have no reason to expect 'smooth') and the 12 will be beaming before the piezos really start responding. Still, that's better than some combo's I have had in the past.

I have made repeated mention of the power/spl issue. This thing may be quite loud, but the last thing I want to do is have some teenager save all their nickels to build one of these, with the expectation it will handle a Metallica gig- it's the wrong box for that. I fully expect it will handle acoustic, quiet gigs and coffee house stuff just fine.

I don't need another box these days, but if I did, I'd try something similar with a 10". If you decide the piezo's don't do it for you, your investment for them is about $1 each.

19. Schecter4

Schecter4

Oct 20, 2007
    The little guys aren't very loud (92db). A pair should be about 95db and 4 of them about 98db (the woofer is 97db).

Keep in mind that these numbers are really approximations and the actual sensitivity varies with frequency. I knew that (1) would be too quiet, I thought maybe (2) would be a little quiet, and (4) might be a little loud. I figured if I could switch in different combinations, the problem was solved.

From the little I have used it, 4 of them is a pretty good match.

20. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Nice job, Schecter4! I think your claims about the cab's capabilities are probably on the conservative side relative to what many manufacturers would have said. Innovative use of the four tweeters there, to get efficiency up. A line source like that will also tend to roll off the top octave a bit through destructive interference, and that probably helps smoothe the tweeters and keep them from sounding edgy. I can see that as a very valid way to employ a bunch of cheap piezos. And you lined them up vertically instead of horizontally or clustered, so you did it right. Distinctive good looks too - probably just like its builder.