1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A and D buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by beyondat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. beyondat

beyondat Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Hello, I just put a new neck on my Franken p and the A and D strings are buzz from the 5th fret down. The neck looks perfectly straight. The bridge saddles are really high on all strings but I was still able to keep the action low with zero buzz except for the A and D below the 5th fret. Does any have any suggestions on what I could adjust next? Thanks.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There's your mistake. Please read the stickies on setup at the top of the forum.

3. Short answer-the neck needs a little relief. Loosen the truss rod a bit to (possibly) eliminate the buzzing. Then you'll find the action is higher, so lower the bridge saddles to taste.

I say 'possibly' because new necks often need fret work to allow low action/minimal buzz.

4. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Thanks, I'll add some relief to the neck. I figured that if I could get 2 of the strings perfect without messing with the trussrod that all of the strings could be adjusted that way.

5. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Actually it's only new to me! Now I have hunt for that elusive hex wrench.

6. It is possible, but only if the frets are perfect.

7. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Thank you

8. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Just plug into a fuzz pedal and all the notes will buzz.....problem solved!
    Your welcome.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Your expectations--read the stickies on setups.

Furthermore: I suspect your A & D saddles need to be raised. Different neck, slightly different radius, etc., --all call for the bass to be setup again.

10. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    All of my saddles are really high at the moment. I've never had to have them this high on any of my basses ,so I will try the truss-rod adjustment first.

11. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I predict: you are gonna need a fretmill on this neck.

12. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    With all your saddles needing to be set that high, I think you should look at shimming the back of the neck pocket.

A business card thickness, about 1/2" long, running the width of the pocket, at the very rear of the pocket should get the saddles down to a better point.

All the best,

Bob

13. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I purchased this neck on ebay and I think i might have been had. I have been tightening the truss to get some bow in the neck and nothing is happening. I then doubted myself and thought that i may be turning the wrong way so I tried the opposite direction which loosened the the trussrod nut. This confirmed that I was indeed tightening the trussrod before. I even waited 2 days after my adjustments to give the wood time to curve also and I get the same results, the neck is still straight as an arrow. Not sure what to do at this point. The trussrod still turns but I've tightened it so much i am scared to keep tightening it.

14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Tightening the truss rod straightens the neck. Waiting is useless, unless there is something wrong with the neck. Everything that is going to happen will happen almost immediately.

How things "look" can be very misleading, especially to those who cannot see the instrument. Using a ruler graduated in either 1/64" or mm. please measure the string height at the twelfth fret on the bass and treble sides. Also measure the relief at the seventh or eighth fret using feeler gauges. Post the data and someone will help you.

15. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Seriously: take this to someone who knows what he or she is doing.

16. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I seriously think that something is wrong with the neck. Tightening or loosening should show some results.

17. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    As 202DY said,

Tightening the truss (normally when looking from the forward edge of the headstock toward the body, turn clockwise) will straighten the neck.

To put a little bow in the neck, loosen the truss.

And... try shimming the pocket as I stated in post #12.

Bob

18. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I'm getting the impression that the OP isn't all that interested in the advice that he has requested.

19. beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I am but it looks like a hopeless cause. I have loosened the trussrod to the point that the trussrod nut rattles with zero resistance when turned. I tried to turn my neck upside down to see if it would fall out but it didn't. The neck is not affected regardless of which way I turn the trussrod. I try the shim again as suggested by Bobster.

20. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca

I.

Suggest.

You.

Take.

It.

To.

A.