1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A bass you would never consider playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spent, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I recently picked up a 34" 5 string. I have a Spector 5 string, but it's 35" and since I want to string this one E - C and would like it to be a close string spacing, 34" it is. I looked at quite a number of basses, really wanted another Spector Coda Pro (would be #5) but seeing that it won't get much playing time, I decided to keep it relatively cheap. I looked at Yamahas, LTDs, Ibanez, Sire and even an SX, spending countless hours on TB looking at reviews and NBDs. Then I got thinking about basses I would never consider that have a loyal fan base.

So, what bass would you never consider playing? And let's keep it civil.

If anyone is curious, I ended up with a Yamaha TRBX505

dragon2knight likes this.
  2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I would never consider a bass that has any sharp points on its headstock. I just hate the look. That eliminates a lot. Some people don't like EBMM Bongos because of the resemblance to a certain porcelain product, I just don't like the headstock. ESP, Kramer, BC Rich, a lot of really nice sounding basses just won't be mine because of it.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No such thing as a bass I would not consider because of brand or traditional body style. Unless it is shaped like a penis or a butt I will give it a play and/or a listen.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Once upon a time I wouldn't have dreamed of playing a P bass!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Do you mean a) picking it up in a store and playing it? b) owning it? c) gigging it?

a) no
    b) Too many to mention, mainly b/c I'm not worthy. Nothing more hi-end than an EBMM.
    c) See b)

ScarfFace likes this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd never own a bass by two or three specific builders/company owners as my years on TB have shown them to be crappy folks I just don't want to support. Lots of basses I don't want because the specs are uncomfortable, but I'd give them a shot at least.

And guys- make sure not to turn this into an "ugly bass" thread, or it will get shut down.

7. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    image.

Not my style personally, but to each their own :thumbsup:

8. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    As a newbie, I picked 'em all up, and I mean ALL of 'em that were in my sight range, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. So far, none I'd say no to...I'm a 50yo Italian male....it takes A LOT to embarases me ;)

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    images.duckduckgo.com.khlhk.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Only if I absolutely had to:

p_xt25alt_1.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Plenty.
    Dan Armstrong lucite ones and Peavey T40's for a start.
    Mostly because I'm old and the weight would kill me at a gig.

12. I would play a Gibson or Epiphone, but I wouldn't buy one. The same goes for Music Man.

13. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    Oddly, I kinda like that...if just for the weight savings ;) I had a bass player in an old band in the late 80's that played a Cort knockoff, hot pink(it WAS the 80's...). Sounded pretty good.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Absolutely amebic!

dragon2knight likes this.
  15. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    that one lokks like if you jumped just right on stage...they'd be takin' ya out on a stretcher ;)

Kubicki Fan and jd56hawk like this.
  16. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Pretty much anything headless

cheechi, Mike A, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  17. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    It can look any kind of way, as long as it's ergonomic and has no neck dive, I'll play it. Especially for free.:smug:

MovingPitchers likes this.
  18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Being kinda old and kinda fat, I wouldn't play anything "pointy" 'cause I'd just look silly. :D

I'm also just a little bar-band guy, and anything that looked exotic would probably make me appear pretentious, so I'd avoid those, as well.

maxschrek, dralionux and RC52 like this.
  19. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I wouldn't be interested in anything over 10 pounds.

jamro217, Az_Rocker76, TalHaz and 7 others like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

So far, I don't think it's been built yet.

I have strong preferences. But if it came down to playing something I didn't much care for - or not playing at all?

I'd elect to play.