Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A couple questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santa Kraut, Sep 22, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what basses come stock with trems. I browsed through google and ebay and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm hoping someone here could help me out with this. Also I was wondering if bass trems are at all stable or is it going to go out of tune the second I touch it?

Thanks!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've never seen one come "stock" on a new bass, only as an aftermarket modification.

I once had a Kahler bass tremolo installed on a Rickenbacker 4003, and though it worked fine, tuning was a bit of an issue. It will NOT stay in tune like a fixed-bridge bass. The more you use it, the more the strings will flex back and forth with tension and will go out of tune. I also found that if you used it too frequently for "dive-bomb" effects, the strings would eventually weaken and break.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Ritter has a tremolo avalible on his basses. They are his own design. A beautiful bass if you don't mind the price tag!

www.ritter-basses.com

4. other than Ritter, I don't know any bass people that make basses with stock trem...I've never even played a bass trem before, to be honest.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I was just talking to Mark Eshenbaugh last week about trem basses. While they aren't stock, per se, he mentioned the fact that he wanted to include tremelo on one of his up-coming basses. I passed, as I didn't think that too many people would be interested in a trem bass, but it does seem to have made a come-back as of late. I guess all it took was for a hardware company to start producing a quality trem bridge and everybody is ready to ride their whammy bars into to the sunset! ;)