1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A different way to look at expensive gear

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, May 11, 2011.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I rotate several basses during our show, from my Hofner Club Bass, a couple of vintage Fender Telecaster Basses to my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird.

Kids are always coming up to me asking questions about my basses.

2. Awesome. So it wasn't just the $2000 boots and $600 shirt.... It was the IRISH!

3. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore

This may work well for you or your demographic and I agree with some of what you're saying, but this will not work for everyone.

I'm 24 and will state my honest opinion.

If you want to impress girls on stage with your flashy gear or great looks than music may not be for you. Yes, androgyny has been a staple of musicians/rock stars over the years, but not everyone can portray something they're totally not on stage as well as the next person. I have a ton of respect for someone like Boy George, who's stage persona was very close to his personal persona. A rather refreshing stray from the norm.

I think a nice pair of shoes/boots will go a long way. I'm on the short side and prefer to wear boots with a few added inches in the back. I think of it as the UK or NY look that I really enjoy.

Neutral colors are a big thing for me on stage. It's easy to get noticed wearing some over the top, bright shirt, but just putting something simple and nice together will go a long way. I prefer dark denim, black or a light grey on stage jean wise (I'm a fan of brands like Levis and Diesel). Shirt wise, a really nice simple button down that fits well works or a nice polo shirt without any crazy brand logo on it.

Accessorizing and layering also works well, but that's not just for band guys, that's for people in general. A really nice watch goes a long way too.

Not everyone can afford luxuries like a really nice pair of boots, a really nice watch or really nice jeans, but do the best you can with the budget you have to work with. Smile no matter what you're grill looks like. Try to have a positive outlook on life and a bubbly personality. That will help as well.

I think Schwab once said, "A man who trims himself to suit everybody will soon whittle away." Be yourself, love yourself, and be the best you that you can possibly be.

If it helps at all here's what my band looks like on stage. I only feel comfortable saying this stuff and being able to back it up:
    YouTube - The Dialogue/"Golden Curls"/The Ottobar

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

5. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I didn't say I rocked the, "just out of bed" look Tom! I just said there are some girls out there who dig that. I don't like the sort of girls who are into that either!

I have expensive tastes when it comes to my footwear and my coats, but I wear very understated tshirts and usually a normal looking pair of jeans! I'm long haired, tattooed and pierced, but I'm attracted to a much more "normal" looking kind of girl. I don't know what they see in me, but I do fine! I definitely follow your mentality on the cologne, my usual cologne is around $100ish a bottle, and I'm always complimented on how I smell!

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You both make good points.

dj that just out of bed look has a real short time span and is only going to work while your young, I will say under 25 but really closer to under 20. And depending on how you chose your parents it might not work at all.

7. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Haha, I suppose so! I don't wear cheap shoes or pants, but they're always pretty old as I can't afford to replace them often. As for shirts it's usually something that I've gotten cheap and then attacked with scissors when I'm on stage. All accessories are cheap also.

As for the discussion on of what attracts the fairer sex.. your best bet is to simply be the exception to the rule.

8. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I'm under 25 Blue, but I have a look somewhere between the two extremes. The sort of woman I like doesn't want a prissy sort of guy who spends longer getting ready and spends more on his clothes than she does. I can cut a tidy figure in a suit or a nice shirt when I need to! I just don't dig the "metrosexual" look. I'm a musician, I have a good education and I'm always clean. I'll do just fine, especially when I'm outside Ireland and I can pull the "Irish Charm" card! :D

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Rarely will girls, unless they play bass, have an opinion about your gear. I used to play a Johnson brand bass, got tail all the time. The most expensive bass I own cost me $300, and looks much more pricey.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Your under 25. All I can say is I was once under 25, it doesn't last forever, take advantage of it for all it's worth.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'm a core rocker. First rule of rock, do whatever you want and don't mind other people's opinion.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    For what it's worth and I know you guys think guys my age don't no anything about anything.

Back in the 70s the hot chics were a lot pickier with what guys they hooked up with then the chics out there now.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My Johnson has always served me pretty well in that regard too.

14. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I'm having a bit of a laugh in this thread, so I won't get too serious, but honestly guys, the last person to ask what attracts women is another guy. I get the feeling, from my experience, that girls are a whole lot less shallow than most of us guys.

Its either that or I'm much better looking that I've realised and I don't think that's too likely! :p

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am a seasoned core rocker. The whole do whatever you want and don't mind other people's opinion thing. Hate to break the news to you,that doesn't work anymore.

16. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You make a good point.

Today it's crazy, I have seen some hot chics out with uuys that look like inbred skin heads, go figure:D

17. I suppose it's a good source of ice breakers--want to see a 34" johnson? and other TOS violation ice breakers ;)

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It still works fine or me.

19. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    Play and wear whatever you like and makes you feel good, because in a couple of weeks any girl you meet at a gig who digs you because youre a musician is just going to end up sleeping with the drummer anyway.

20. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Attraction never changes. Girls want someone they can brag to their friends about (eg being in a band, same as you telling your friends how hot your gf is) and who is a leader. The alpha male, if you will. That whole not giving a damn what other people think thing comes into this.

I won't go into it heaps here, but if anyone is interested I recommend first reading a book called 'The Game' and then following on with further research as it interests you. It works.