1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few questions regarding my Gretsch 2210

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelowerrhythm, Jul 26, 2012.

1. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    First off, let me apologize if this is the wrong section (and any mod is of course welcome to move it).

I love this bass. Love love love it. Out of all of the basses I've owned over time, I had no idea that such a cheap, simple little short scale would fit me like a glove. Anyway, fapping over it aside there's two things I want to do with it:

1. Replace the mini humbucker. Sounds fine-ish as is, but this is my baby at this point and I want to give it the finest silks, so to speak. For the life of me, I cannot find much information on bass mini humbuckers made by third parties, let alone anything on whether they'd fit this Gretsch. Routing issues are, hopefully avoidable, but I'm not scared of them. Just don't want to throw a hummer or whatever in there because I'm digging the mini sound in general.

2. Replace the tuning keys. Not the tuners, just the buttons. Cheapo tuners, I'm sure, but they hold tune just fine and there's none of that looseness that requires you to downtune and then to back up to keep it tight. This, of course, is a purely cosmetic thing. I'm giving it king of a makeover with a mixture of black, chrome and pearloid. Just not sure where to go to find bass tuning buttons -- or how to tell if they'll fit.

Thanks so much ahead of time. :bassist:

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    For the pickup, to fit the Gretsch theme, you may want one of these http://tvjones.com/pickups/bass-pickups/
    Redo the wiring completely while you're in there. Shielding, new pots, jack, etc. Make it clean and strong.

I don't know that you'll find just the tuner buttons, you'll probably have to replace the whole tuner.

3. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    I sort of figured that about the tuner thing. /cries

Thank you so much for that link. Why I didn't think to contact them is embarrassing. And yeah... you know, surprisingly enough the wiring job was done very, very well. That tone pot has to go for sure. Not a huge fan of the two settings it has (zero and ten).

4. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Also, just for sh*ts and gigglers... if anyone knows of a pup like that that'll run me less than $140, that'd be great too. :D

5. Great choice. I own a G2202 Jr. Jet. Mine came with a TV Jones designed mini-humbucker. The only mod I made was to change out the bridge for a Gotoh 201.

I have my bass strung with D'addario tapewound strings. It sounds great with those.

The Jr. Jet is a great bass if your shoulder is getting tired towards the end of a long gig!

6. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Yeah, I'm so damn happy with it. Just today I got a new pickguard back from WD (aged pearl)... so, yes they have that template now, heh. And I threw on a cloned fender jazz bridge cover (comfort for when I'm playing finger style, or a place to shove my sock for dub).

How would you describe what swapping the bridge did for it? The stock one seems solid enough, but maybe that's something else I should consider.

I'm normally not that into roundwounds, but I play a lot of rock bass lately and don't want to loose the grind.

7. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You could try a Gretsch Filterton bass pickup. Those are regularly on eBay for $50. I have the G2220, which is the two pickup version of your bass. I put in two TV Jones Thundertrons and love it! I also added some new pots so it is wired up like a Thunderjet or Broadkaster. Total control of tone and volume balance.

G2220NylonStrings.

Edit: Here's an audio sample: http://youtu.be/9boHZpSF5HQ

8. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks ih8law. That sounds far better on the pocketbook. The Thundertrons apparently rock the Devil's balls, but they seem to be $140+ a piece. Every pickup I've ever played that even cloned something with 'Filtertron' in the name has been right up my alley.

When I bought this one I was playing it against an Epi eb-0, eb-3 and then a 2220 and 2202.

The epis were alright, but the eb-0 felt cheap and the eb-3 had a useless bridge pickup (imo). Didn't need two pickups anyway. Should have taken the 2202... better pickup out of the box I think, and better placement.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't change the pickup on that Gretsch. The pickup is the best, most distinctive feature of that bass. That Gretsch mini-humbucker is what sets that bass apart.

10. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Pilgrim... I've had more than a few people tell me that, but that the previous version (the tv jones designed one) is noticeably better in some areas. I dunno. I'm mostly just nerding out here. I agree that this pickup is definitely cool, regardless of whether there's an 'upgrade.'