Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good slap sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrapBass, Oct 28, 2004.

1. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Ok, I have an Ibanez SRX-500. And lately I have not been very happy with it, mainly because it has a slap sound like crap. Althought it sounds awesome when I am trying to play rock songs.
    Mainly the thing about it that I hate it the way it feels when I am trying to pop the D or G strings. It is really difficult. Plus when I slap the bottom two it just plain sounds wrong.
    So what I am trying to say is, do you think it is my strings? :(

2. i found it difficult to make an ibanez sound good when slapping, but now i've got a Stingray so it doesn't matter anymore.

3. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    I have also been thinking of selling my bass. What do you think is a good all around bass for like 400-500 dollars? Because I really am not happy with my bass.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I had a SR400 for 6 weeks and traded it in. The pups on that bass basically sucked big time! that is most likely why you can't get a good slap sound. I found the pups lacking in tone and not sounding like anything particular. Different basses bring different things to the table and I wouldn't put Ibanez together with a good slap sound!
    Just my .02

5. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    What did you trade it in for?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Traded it back to Sam Ash (where I got it) and had them order me a agave blue (new color at the time) p-bass. I also got a gig bag with the trade in. I still have the p-bass and just put SPB3 bassline pups in it. I am happy with it, even before I changed the pups.

7. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Cant go wrong with Fender! I sold my GSR 200 not long ago to help pay for my agave MIM Jazz. One set of Extra Slinkys later, I'm in love! :bassist:

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmmm I like Ibanez for slap quite a bit actually. With the split P/J combo, I've been able to get some very good slap tones out of a lowly SR300DX. I use it for slap more than my Czech Spector, mostly because the ibanez is my only 4-string and has a faster/easier neck for slapping. I'm no Ibanez fanboy, but I think their stuff is an overall good value.

9. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Wow, thanks for all your input guys. :)

10. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Ok, I have been searching around on these forums about other basses and one that seems like it might be good for me is like a MIM Fender Jazz Bass. I have played a Fender Standard Jazz before. Is there a real difference between the two? And also, where can I buy one on-line?

11. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    MIM means "Made In Mexico", and it's just another name for the Fender Standard Jazz Bass. http://MusiciansFriend.com has the best prices I know of for new, unless you don't mind used, In which case I'd suggest you try EBay.

12. ahem..The ATK's?..they were a serious competition for the stingrays..personally i think the soundgears give a good slap sound....but to me a good slap sound you always have to pan to the next pickup about 60-40...but i played one of those SRX500's the other day...i had treb rolled back a little off max, bass up max, and had the neck pickup up a little louder than the bridge and it sounded great

13. Can you GET ATKs in Australia anymore? Heath, dude, if you come across an ATK in Oz and don't grab it yourself, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know about it. I would LOVE an ATK :)

14. eeerrrrmmm..i had one...a black atk300...but i sold it about 12 months ago now :D ..they might still have it actually..contact musicheadquarters here in newcastle...they might still have it..they had my kubicki for 6 years :meh:

15. Have you checked out the Ibanez SRX series stuff yet? These are equipped with two MM style pups (a la the G&L's). I was wondering how these were for slappin' and poppin'.... :meh:

I live clean out in whoop-whoop and I can't get to any reasonable music stores (unless I take a 2 hour flight to Perth, that is) :(

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A friend of (a friend of) mine gets a perfectly useful slap tone with his Soundgear (not sure of the model, 300 or 400). His fingerstyle tone is pretty kickin' as well. Not saying it's got the same mojo as my Cirrus, but it cost him less than half.
    And SR's worked fine for Fieldy! :bassist:

Just making a point that there is no truth in this, only opinions. :)

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    fIeLdY has the greatest slap sound ever! fIeLdY RuLeS!
    :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

18. if you read my first post in this thread it said i tried the srx500 the other day :D ..but i shold be going in store soon...ill check out sum stuff for ya....persoanlly i reccomend the BTB300 :D

19. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    jazzes are pretty nice, as are some of the warwicks. actually most of the battle is in trying to find a tight sounding bass with a good neck and fairly low action. in my experience thats just as imp as the pickups.

dodge

20. bubingaboy

bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Dodgy Ian is right. It's not only about the tone, its about a good neck and low (non-buzzing) action. I had an Ibanez SR800 which I learned to play slap on. Unfortunately I felt like I was fighting the bass to slap (I didn't know it at the time because I never played anything else).

I picked up a used Alembic Epic for $600 and it DOMINATED!!!! Lower action means greater efficiency. The Ibanez sounds good but it's built for rock (in every aspect). For good tone, new strings is the best thing. Then, a good pre-amp (I'm using a BBE BMAX-T) to shape your tone. Also, a good compression unit to balance out the volume levels of the slapping and popping so you don't blow out the ears of the person sitting in front of your amp.