1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Movie about Jaco? Why Not?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Jaco's life would make an interesting, if depressing movie.

Brilliant musical prodigy
    Upbeat clean cut athletic teenager
    Teenage father, Lean years raising a family
    Gets audition with top fusion band by audacity and luck
    World shaking new musical talent on the scene
    Quick disintegration with mental problems after discovering drugs and alcohol
    Love affairs
    Adoration by fans long after the musical talent is gone
    General chaos
    Beaten to death

Seems like "Johnny Cash" meets "A Beautiful Mind"

Sooner or later, I expect a flic or made-for-tv movie.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There's been talk of it, but it would probably be a flop. How much of the average movie going audience A) Is an avid jazz fan B) Is a bassist?

It would appeal to a small demographic, UNLESS of course, they do get Johnny Depp to play Jaco. Then it would be a hit for certain. He did have an interesting life, but not many people care.

3. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    If you make its focus drama rather than biography then it could be a success, if you don't over plug the this is jaco and you plug the true life story, then i could see it working

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But if people don't know who Jaco is, they won't go see it.

5. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    "A Beutiful Mind" was about about a brilliant mathematician that went nuts. It did very well at the box office.

How many folks knew who John Nash was?*
    How many folks are mathematicians?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, that's fine. I'd like to see it happen/succeed, but I still have my doubts.

7. VincentPuleo

VincentPuleo

Jan 14, 2008
    I know there has been talk, I really hope it eventually comes out. If they get the right people I think the movie could be amazing.

It be funny if Johnny Deep played him all these girls in my highschool would be like

"omg I luv Jaco"

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The creative 'dramatization' was very high though, so much that as a biopic, it was not accurate. 'Catch me if you can" was also a biopic in a way, and it was heavily fictionalised. If they were done as complete fictional accounts, they would have done well as cinematic effort withouth the true character connection.In either case, all you needed was to say "based on a true story".....The creative dramatisation in the Johnny Cash and Ray Charles biopics was high too... they were much bigger in reputation and market draw than Jaco ever was.

9. It would be interesting, but it's going to be more focused on his ilness and drug abuse problemas than his musical ability

10. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    To be honest i'd say jaco's life was so screwed up there would to be any creative dramatization. I think the truth speaks louder than any over elaborate acting could

11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    All I know is that the soundtrack would suck... :ninja:

12. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I could see this maybe only as like a straight to DVD release. I love jaco but there isnt alot of people out there that actually know Jaco. I think it is kind of a dumb idea....yea the first post has a rundown of his life that is something you could use in a movie but I just think that it wouldnt be very popular at all.

13. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    i dunno, a drama like that written from scratch could do well so using a true story to "bass" :p an exiting drama film on is possible, see beautiful mind (as mentioned above)

14. RL6

RL6

Feb 8, 2006
    Consider this: there has not yet been a movie about Miles Davis ( that I know of...)...

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i thought it was also very interesting that in the movie Bird, Miles didn't have much of a character if any at all..

i wonder why Clint had that happen? :confused:

16. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    It's true, it wouldn't be successful if it were to be pitted against the likes of "Ray" and "Walk The Line" in the tiresome Biopic genre because not everyone loves Jazz Fusion and hardly any of the cinema-going public know who Jaco is.
    However, looking at the bullet points of his life in the original post, there's no reason that it'd be a bad film if it were fiction. Screenwriters invent people all the time and the films are good and popular. If you made a film about Jaco and made it well, the 'character' of Jaco would come to people as the protagonist in a new, interesting drama and then secondly with the additional knowledge that actually it's based on the life of a real person.
    I think you could make any random person's life into a good film. A good screenwriter, director, production designer combination could make it great. There's no reason Jaco: The Film should be a flop. None whatsoever ...apart from the fact that it would inevitably be billed as a sort of follow-up to Ray or something like that. If a studio went with it, it'd be a disaster. If it was made independently, it could be really moving.
    I don't know what kind of grants the American government has for aspiring film-makers. There's a few schemes in Europe that'd help get it moving if somebody was so-inclined.

17. Suffering the same fate as the Buddy Holly story starring Gary Busey......

18. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I keep reading that actor Don Cheadle intends to make a movie about Miles. Physically, he's perfect for the role and he can pull off the attitude.

As for the Jaco movie, my question is, who is wierd enough to play Wayne Shorter?

19. The entire world knows who Johnny Cash was, from ten year olds to our oldest people who where young when he was.

Jaco is known by a little narrow range of music nerds that listen to jazz that most people would get ear infections from if presented with and trying to listen too ...

A film would draw a very small audience and most probably never even reach the theaters either.

D.Don

20. I'd watch it. BTW, who do you think would make a good Jaco? That's a pretty tough role to play IMO.

I think it would make a great independent film.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021