A New Cheapie (Hondo Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I saw this on the bay and couldn't pass it up. I've played a few over the years and always found the build quality to be excellent. While some Hondos have plywood bodies and cheezy hardware, this one is solid wood and has original Grover tuners and the unique Hondo string through body bridge. The stock Hondo pups are fantastic. I've had a set in one of my other P basses for years. For just under 200 bucks shipped, it arrived at my home in a new gig bag :)

I bought it as a project and based on the ebay photos, that's what I was expecting. As it turns out the original finish is very nice on both the neck and body. There are a few MINOR dings but..... The natural finish has taken a really nice aged look and I'm not going to touch it :) There is NO fret wear and everything works perfectly including the trussrod.

After tweeking the setup to my liking, I couldn't be happier. It weighs just a hair over 9lbs and feels just like a CIJ Fender neck profile with the 1 5/8" neck width.

Minor mods is all I'm going to do. First, a carbon fiber nut to space the strings out just slightly across the neck. The white pickguad is getting tossed as well in favor of an Abalone one I have sitting here. When I do that, I'll also install a wiring kit with new pots and caps and sheild the cavity. New knobs to compliment the pickguard are also a must. After that, strap locks and a set of LaBella strings and it will be ready to rock :bassist:

Here it is as it arrived today ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. danharris86

danharris86

Feb 3, 2009
    Nice looking bass! Is that brand new? Looks it!

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Great score? Looks really well aged, but not beatup. Any idea of the age?

4. Nice lookin' Hondo!

5. Mid 80's is as close as I can date it. If anyone can pinpoint the date, please let me know!! It's a Fame Series 830. It has no serial number. If anything is revealed when I pull the pickguard off, I'll post it. I'm putting a newer set of Ernie Ball Slinkies on now so I can play it until I start doing the mods. The strings that were on it were funky............and not in a good way :p

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    It's in great shape for being almost 30 years old. Must have been hiding in a case somewhere, but then again, where can Fame hide?

Good luck with it.

-richard

7. Very nice....I would love to hear what it sounds like.

8. The more I play it, the more it feels just like a CIJ Fender P. The pickup has a bit more warmth. It responds with a lot of growl the harder you dig in. It slaps very well so I probably won't put flats on it.

9. I saw a black & maple one, with matching painted headstock, just like it the other day but I think the hardware was chrome if I'm not mistaken. The guy wanted $185 for it....A FAME 830. It still had the gold foil serial number tag on the neck plate. I may have to go back and take another look at it.

10. There's one for sale here as well:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514984&highlight=Hondo

It probably doesn't matter much but the Hondos with painted bodies may very well be plywood. I had an Electra badged Hondo that had a plywood body. It played and sounded fine but it was about a pound heavier than the solid wood bodied one I have now. From what I can see the model that I have is an upscale version with the higher end hardware. It also has a one piece neck with the skunk stripe on the back, the other ones are two piece. I've seen other base model ones in local pawn shops and music stores but it's been YEARS since I've seen one like I have now.

11. Interesting....

The logo on the one I was looking at is like yours but in white, or cream. It was the 830 for sure, the guy who's selling it made some sort of reference to 8:30, as in time.

I know the Hondo IIs are plywood, I had a couple of those in pieces for awhile that I reassembled with new electronics and sold, now I'm really curious about both of these. I bought the neck for my '03 MIA P from that TB seller too.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Wow, a cheap version of a cheap bass! How cheap! Love it! Riff West played a Hondo II in Molly Hatchet so you know they rock, bro...

13. a new pick guard is a must for that fine bass!

14. Never judge a bass by how much it costs....

15. I still have this pickguard and mammoth ivory tug bar. It looks better on the Surf Green Fender but I think it will work on the aged, natual finish of the Hondo. Besides, once installed, the pickguard and tug bar will double the value of the Hondo.............on paper anyway :D

16. Very true. I will put my 80's Aria "Primary Bass" up against ANY P bass, production, custom, whatever...................BRING IT :ninja: :bag:

17. nice!:bassist:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I was giving it a compliment!

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I really like inexpensive but great sounding basses like that. Enjoy!

20. Oh, I know....I was just commenting. I prefer two of my cheaper basses to my most expensive one. The expensive one seldom gets played and I'm seriously considering letting it go.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021