Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A pre-gibson Tobias Classic or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    My Guess is Pre Gibson.

Bob Lee
    Tobias Guitars 1983-92

3. According to the ad, the serial number is 1662, which would certainly make it pre-Gibson.

Mike

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And that is one heck of a well-educated guess! ;)

Bob, you may be familiar with my latest instrument acquisition (just came in today):

[​IMG]

Tobias Basic 5, in Ferrari Red, with birdseye maple wings. Michael told me this was the unofficial "Jimmy Haslip model." Serial # 766.

Tom.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, that would make it post-Gibson, but pre-Nashville, I think. Here is a quote from Michael's current webpage:
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]

6. D'oh, you're right! I had that 2044 number stuck in my head, but didn't go back to check the MTD site. Thanks for the correction!

Mike

7. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Absolutely a bass made by the original crew at Tobias in California. I have always considered 2044 to be the real Pre/Post Gibson dividing line. That would make it technically a Tobias bass but yes Gibson was in the picture at that point.

BL

8. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Is that the one I saw on EBAY?? looks nice! how does it play/sound?????

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was, in fact, on ebay, but he had previously listed it on bassgear.com, which is where I saw it. It looks far better in person, believe me! It plays like a dream. If you told me this bass was 6 months old, I would believe you! the finish is about a mile deep, and the neck just feels right. I am not really keen on the strings that are on it (not sure what they are), but I hope to clean it up, put some new strings on it, take some photos, play it a good bit more, and come back with a review! :D

Tom.

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    3K is still pretty steep on it IMO..pre or post Gibson.

11. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I agree as well. The #2044 would be the cutt off line. Post that number, you can definately feel a difference and hear it too. 3K might be a bit too much, but for a classic, I believe it is right there at market value for what it is. The earlier classic 6's were a bit smaller. My teacher had #850, and it was fantastic. I regret not swapping with him when he offered once he saw the basic 6.

I have #1751, which was delivered to my hands on April 13th of 1992 from Mike and the four or five other guys he had working for him in CA.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I have post Gibson Basic 5 #2240 sitting right here and it's as nice a bass as I've ever played and one of the prettiest at that too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That is indeed a very nice looking bass! Wow!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Bob, or anyone, do you know what the respective preamp controls should be on my Basic 5? One is obviously volume, one is pan, and then the bottom three appear to be treble, mid and bass controls, but they don't have center detents, and I don't know if they are boost/cut, boost only, or what. Also, I would have expected the mini toggle to be a midrange shift control, based on the current MTD layout, but it sounds like an active/passive switch.

Does anyone know for sure what these controls do? And if you knew the values of the treble/mid/bass controls, that would be helpful.

Thanks, Tom.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks!

16. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Here is the diagram of the electronics.

http://bassland.net/_discussion/0000055f.htm

BTW, the treble and bass are cut and boost and are of the shelving type of control (ie from the q freqency up or down). The mids were boost only with a complex two frequency tone center. We never could get pots with center detents to work right (ie wrong feel for such an exspensive bass) besides, the mid (flat) point is never physically in the center anyway (logrythmic controls). Anybody that tells you the center is dead flat is wrong but you would never know the difference anyway (how does "flat" sound?).

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks, Bob! Can you confirm that those are boost only? They sound like they might be boost/cut to me.

Tom.

18. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Hi Tom,

I edited my previous reply to answer your question

BL

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Tremendous help!

Thanks, Tom.

20. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Interesting. I suppose the later ones, like mine, went with the vol/pan configuration and also had the detents on the low/mid/high.