1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A question of etiquette

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Hello dolly. I am with munjibunga, if they are poop, nite nite, And another point, if you play first, do the band playing last come and see your band play first? I worry about what my band is doing, If I am tired at the end of a gig, I leave. If i want to stay, I stay. No one should be holding a gun against your head on this issue.

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If I know the band, or I am interested in cultivating a relationship with the band in order to do future shows, then hell yes I'm going to stick. Otherwise it all comes down to whether or not I am interested in their music.

I guess when I think about it, it comes down to that in the first case as well, since why the hell would I want to do a show with a band that sucks? ;)

I play music for fun, and I listen to music for fun. If I had to stick around and listen to crappy bands, then, well... That would be WORK. I get enough of that during the day thank you. :D

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For the record, we stuck around for all the bands tonight. It was a long night.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Funny (sad) story:

A band I was in was just starting and we had friends in a pretty established band (200+ draw). We finally had the opportunity to close the night of their CD release party. The place was packed, their set was huge, and when they finished their 2nd encore, the singer said, "After party at My place, we're leaving right now, c'mon everybody." We went on to the bouncers putting the chairs on the tables and some guy sweeping up.

I show respect to all bands, but if they cop an attitude, they don't get **** from me.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Good point JB, but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing a band get a false sense of status because another band on the bill stayed to hear them. If anything, it's more of a networking thing - to see how well their material fits in with yours, a chance to make contacts and get opinions on the show. If I were opening for a big act, I'd definitely want the chance to pick their brains, and to let my brain be picked if the situation is reversed.

You make a good point: demanding that other bands on the bill stay is a far bigger breach of etiquette, IMO, than leaving during their set. I have dealt with and played with some band leaders around here that practically beg people to go to their gigs, and it's downright embarrassing to be around. :ninja:

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I agree 100% with all of this and thought it should be said again because it is too true.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I always left when the beer fund ran dry ...

8. the NYC club scene sucks so hard that i show up for soundcheck and leave when i'm done.

it is ridiculous how they do it. take the Continental. everynight they have 5-7 bands playing 40min sets. none of these bands have a similar sound and you are paid only if you draw the most people. so it pays to leave and be there only when you play.
    of course you have to come back at the end of the night to get the cash IF YOU GET PAID!!!

i always have to get paid upfront and the "leader" takes a loss paying me my fee. it is %90 of the time more then what the whole band gets at a NYC club gig.

of course i always ask to play elsewhere.

NO ONE EVER SHOWS UP AT THE NYC SHOWS!!!

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've been playing shows in NYC lately and the middle spot seems to be the best one. When the final band goes onstage at 11PM on a weekday there usually isn't a whole lot of people there to see it.

Not to mention when there is a crap load of venues on the same strip you better be big or most people have migrated to their "spot" by the time the last band comes on.

I agree, there is way too much diversity in any given show at an NYC venue. No band sounds the same at all. So you never know what you're gonna get. Pianos ( www.pianosnyc.com ) on Ludlow and Stanton is a much better venue with regards to quality venue and getting paid.

Al