Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A replacement for my ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Rebo213, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Hi
    I´m just starting with the DB, and now i´m using my electric gear to amplify it. Its an ampeg v4bh with an ampeg 4x10 hlf coming from a realist pickup. The problem, i dont like the sound at all, and also i´ve got tons of feedback problems (due to the tubes?). You all DB amp experts can you help me? I´ve got no money so i want to sell the v4bh and keep the cabinet, and also i need 200 watt. or more. Any suggestion? thanks a lot

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    It is not the amplifier.

I recommend getting a Fishman preamp and plugging into that before you go to your Ampeg head. You may be able to fine tune the bass and treble to help get the sound you want plus reduce feedback. You should be able to pick one up used for about $50. US.

Realist pick-ups are not designed for high volume applications, you may do better with a Fishman BP100 or Underwood. Also, don't stand in front of your amp, try to stand to the side of it.

Good Luck! :bassist:

3. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I agree, it's probably not the amp causing your feedback, unless you have a microphonic tube in there somewhere.
    My v4bh is pretty neutral for upright, when played through the right cabinet. I've had no experience with a 4-10 cab, but did try to use Ampeg's 4-8", which didn't work too well. It was too woofy. I don't know if it's because it is rear-ported, or that's just the way it is voiced. It looks real nice with the V4, though.
    You might look at a Euphonic Audio cabinet. They are very efficient, which would get the most out of your 100 watts. They are also fairly neutral - sounding, and a whole lot smaller than a 4-10. You've got that big old bass to carry now!

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The word feedback always makes me cringe 'cuz there's the really high-pitched whiny electronic kind that you can get with a mic.

But I'm assuming here that by "feedback problems" you mean the low-pitched variety where the body and strings of your bass seem to resonate and rumble out of control.

If this is so, try dampening the afterlengths of your strings (between the bridge and the tailpiece) with a piece of a rag or felt or a small towel, woven snugly through/around the strings, or something of this nature. I use a gizmo called a Vibramute.

5. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tubes and the lack of a preamp are not what would be causing you feedback. I microphonic tube will amplify NOISE but not cause actual microphonic feedback.

You are, however, using a lot of speaker face for upright bass. 4 tens are certainly useable with upright, but you'll want to probably cut a little of the lows and not be right next to the cabinet. I would recommend as a first step, finding a smaller cabinet to run the Ampeg into. Maybe a 2x10 or a 1x15.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have a very similar Ampeg rig with the bug 4X10 cabinet. My pick-up is a super simple K&K piezo. How flat and snug the little piezo waffer is fitted into the bridge makes a whale of a difference in feedback. Between the two aspects of snugness and flatness, its hard to say which makes the most difference. It is a combination of the two. From my direct experice I might have to say flatness because when the little spot on my bridge where I wedge the piezo element was too rounded and only a portion of the piezo element was fitted snuggly, I got feedback like crazy.

As it is now I have to put the bass right in front of the spaker with my hands off the strings to get even a hint of feedback.