1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A second Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAt33, Feb 14, 2016.

1. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I have a question regarding getting a second Bass when I can. I just started playing and have a Squier Jaguar Troy Sanders Sig model. I love playing and want to get another Bass to use different string type, different pickup(s) and different materials (I want a Maple fretboard on Bass 2) so I'm looking at the Sterling SUB Ray4. So the question is whether it's worth it or not? I don't have much of a budget to move up to like a Fender or a MM. But is buying multiple $300 basses a waste of money? I certainly have no problems withy Squier I think it's great and could love the SUB just as much potentially. Just Wondering what TB thinks since I've got so much solid advice on here so far.

Throw in a picture of what I currently have and what I want...just for fun

Want!! (Top) Have (Bottom) H82042005004069-00-750x750. 20160210_200257.

meatwad likes this.
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    1 right bass is better than 100 wrong basses.

3. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Also if anyone with a Sub Ray4 sees this I'd appreciate hearing how you like or dislike it.

bobba66 likes this.
  4. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I can appreciate that.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  5. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I had a Ray4 last year and traded it later.
    I played it at 5-6 small gigs and one bigger (2.000 people).
    It is a good, reliable instrument with two downsides: pickup and preamp. Pickup sounds ok, but is too hot and needs to be set very low in order to get healthier signal. Preamp works ok, but has questionable EQ points (treble is more of midrange).
    Get one, but check the neck carefully - mine wasn't great. Than swap pickup and you'll have great Stingray copy for cheap.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You mentioned you just started playing so my suggestion take it for what you will, is to keep playing the bass you already have, save your money for now. You never know if you want to go the five string route instead, opt for a fretless, or other options and features you may discover along the way. Your bass is a pretty good 4 stringer to get you through for now and pretty versatile- the Sub Ray is not quite so versatile.
    I've owned 4 of the Sterling Sub Rays at one time- one white, mint green, walnut and a walnut 5 string. Really good value for the money but along the way, ended up trading them for other basses- I still want to eventually have a Ray bass in the collection (probably a Sterling or a MM), just needed other basses in the meantime. The Sub Rays are uber aggressive, crisp and super loud- not quite as versatile as some of the other basses in terms of tonal range, but it does have a unique sound all it's own, and it does that well.
    You can probably find a used Sterling Sub Ray on the GC used site or your local CL for far less (I picked up my white and walnut ones for $129 and $139 respectively at GC, but I think used prices for them are typically more than that these days). The black and the mint green both have maple fretboards, the others are rosewood.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If it were me, I'd save for one good bass. I gigged one bass for over two decades, and no one ever told me I needed to get another sound. This is a tool, not a toy.

YMMV.

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    excellent

velalv likes this.
  9. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the input dude! And your right about my Jag being pretty versatile, so much so that it took me 3 weeks to find the sound I really wanted. Maybe I should just stick with it and save but if I happen to come across a good deal on a used SUB then pick it up. But not go out of my way and go spending $300. Appreciate the good advice and input :thumbsup:

10. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I think I am gonn just save for now. However Everything is new to me so I WANT to get another sound just to see what does what, you know. That's why I wanted different pick ups and woods and such. But I'll get there. I researched a ton before I got my Jag and I hit the nail on the head with it IMO so I'll find the right Bass when the time/money comes.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  11. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks man, I think I'm gonna save but if I come across a good used one with the Maple neck, I may go for it. @Maxdusty made a lot of sense. This is Why TB is great!

12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    We all know want and need are 2 different things.
    I started a year or so ago and picked up a Kramer d-1 on the cheap, decent bass, very loud emg's.
    I then realised the neck is not for me and I found a Fender Cabronita-love the look and the PUP sound, but it's not got a high output.
    Then I bought a fender starcaster precisely for the sound of 2 humbuckers, the look and a short scale for a change-love it for certain things.
    I now am awaiting a G&L ASAT I bought from a top guy in here (customs are deciding import duty), which will be very exciting.
    I have now sold the Kramer.

Each time I researched what I liked for sound, build, neck size etc. To get here and each bass is a journey.
    What I did was have money aside for precisely the time when a deal came along so I could move on it, especially as guitars like the starcaster do not come available that often over here in the UK.

What you may consider if happy with the bass is what other gear to improve your sound, Amos/pedals etc.

You can get all the advice in the world on here, and I have had very good advice, but it's about what you want and what you want to pay. Whilst you are saving get to shops/friends and play lots of different basses. Go to live gigs and see how they get their sounds.

If you love a £10 bass from a free token out of a xmas cracker then that's cool if it's right for you.

13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Buying two $300 basses makes perfect sense. Everyone needs a backup. Buying three is where you would start to discuss the inflection point between quality and quantity.

14. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Why pay $300 for a Ray4, (pretty cheap bass IMO) and then spend the extra money for a pickup and a perhaps someone to install it when you can get a Ray34 for $400 used that is better in every way, or go big and never regret that you did it cheap for $900 with a nice USA Stingray. The Ray4 is cheap because compared to it's 2 bigger brothers, it feels cheap. Neck didnt feel substantial to me, and cheaper hardware. Don't be fooled.

15. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The vast majority of your sound will come from the position and type of pickup in your bass. Spending some quality time with all of the traditional styles of bass will most definitely tell you what you will like. Once you know what sound you like seek out a refined version of your favorite instrument and be inspired.

With a proper setup Squiers and SUB's can sound and play as good as anything.

16. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    To echo @DigitalMan he is right, 2 of mine are similar ball park, and offer different things

17. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

Jun 20, 2011
    The stingrays are fun but as others have said they arent very versatile. As for taking a cheap bass and throwing good parts at it, its a fun way to learn and builds a great sense of accomplishment and strengthens your curiosity.
    But dont expect it to make it a $2000 bass. Theres a lot more to it than a few parts. As the saying goes, the finished product is greater than the sum of its parts.

Have fun!

BassAt33 likes this.
  18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Save the money for the right opportunity and you'll be so much happier for it. The things you'll look for,the kind of sound you look for in a bass will likely change the more you get into playing and develop more of your own style. There's just so many basses out there, you may want to take your time to try as many of them in order to find a good bass to get next, should you decide it's time you need a second bass. In a way, it's like trying out shoes and finding ones that really fits you.

The great thing is you did your research well and bought an awesome bass from the very beginning so you've got a more than capable bass to grow with and beyond. It's important to have that good versatile, swiss army knife kind of bass around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    gjohnson441496 and BassAt33 like this.
  19. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd only offer this - whatever you choose for a backup should be close to your main instrument in mechanical spec... string spacing, scale, nut width, setup, etc, so you can switch as seamlessly as possible.

Cuzzie likes this.
  20. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    My Squier is set up very well! Which is great. Any I definitely like the P Bass sound so far. I got a PJ on purpose so I could explore both. But I like the Jazz neck, not that I have anything to compare it to but my Suiers neck feels just right to me.