Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A small rant about Wayman Tisdale

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hambone, Jul 19, 2004.

1. OK, this might stir things up a bit - I'm sure some snobs will stick their noses in here somehow but...

I'm coming around to the opinion that Wayman Tisdale does NOT play bass. Oh, he plays a large, long scale, extended range, multi string instrument, but in his band, he's not playing bass. Nope, there's some guy in the back playing bass - nice groove, good tone, just what you'd expect. But out front there's Wayman. Big ol' Wayman. And he's choppin' and lickin' all over the place. Uh-uh, Wayman isn't playing bass... :scowl:

...he's playing the only guit*r that fits him! :D

2. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I didn't think he had time to play bass, given how busy he always is talking about how great he is (at basketball and bass).

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I second your complaint. But hey, piccolo lead bass is a semi-legit genre now, at least if you're listening to... the Quiet Storm(R) (wave crashing sounds).

I accuse Stanley Clarke and Brian Bromberg of similar misdeeds.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ron Carter even put out an album(or two) + some live dates with Buster Williams on bass(Carter on piccolo bass).

Me'shell, too(either Fima Ephron or David Dyson on bass).

Hammy-
    ...OK, you've heard Tisdale. Now move on.
    ;)

5. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I'll jump in here guys :p

Given the context of his music and what he is doing it makes sense to have a bass player holding down the groove while he licks over the top. Doesn't make him any less of a bass player.

Years ago people used to rant that slapping or tapping was not bass playing. Some bass players have made big names for themselves doing it.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    After seeing him live a couple of times, I thought he was posing. Not that good at all. In recent years, he's gotten pointers from Marcus and his playing has gotten much better. I was also unimpressed by his solo on the Stanley Clark special.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No comment
    :meh:

organworthyplayer337 and DWBass like this.
  8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Coincidentally, I was listening to his new record "Hang Time" yesterday at Borders. Piccolo bass solos were nicely melodic, somewhat formulaic but pleasing. I thought a lot of the goovin' "real" bass parts were excellent, and I thought "if that's Wayman playing the groove...he's the real deal. If it's somebody else...why?" If he is using another bass player...IMO that is pretty lame. Not to be compared with what Ron Carter did on a few recordings out of a gazillion.

Can anyone confirm he uses another bass player on "HT"? Does he do this on all his albums?

9. He is playing bass..."Lead Bass"

re: lead vis a vis rhythm guitar.

I gawrahntee that you put Wayman on the same stage with another lead player (be it guitar, saxophone, or another bass) you will hear some solid, ass-spankin rhythm comin from 'da Way-T.

Since people are paying money to come see him play, they're paying to see him tear it up, which he does because he's a showman.

Hambone, you just took the Bassist's Movement back about 50 years. :crying:

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You are kidding, right?? I've seen him 'live'. Nah, he can't hang! He's good at what he does but he should not be onstage with true proven vets doing it fo' real! I give him props for being out there doing his thing!

11. And you've got mo'phat between the ears if you can't see the satire in what I wrote. :rolleyes:

12. OHH, you were being satirical...I thought you were serious and didn't really know that he is, in fact, playing the bass. I thought you might have mistaken his instrument for a guitar and wondered why all the fuss about him being considered a bass player. I know he's like 6'-10" and a standard bass looks small on him (proportionally similar to a guitar in the average man's arms), so I was simply trying to enlighten those who may not be in-the-know that he does play bass.

ps. The fat between my ears helps filter my thoughts and words so I'm not entirely sarcastic.

pps. The little crying dude was another misstep in a failed attempt to express irony and sarcasm on the internet. I hate the internet.

ppps. My thoughts on Waymon don't hide the fact that he should just stick to basketball and leave the bass playing to us: the absolutely un-gifted-for-sports 5'-9" dudes with stubby fingers and desk jobs. :D

Now, do me a favor and buy something from my swap meet.

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    maybe not on this tour but when I saw him a few years back he was the only bass player in the band.Oh and BTW,Wayman does all of the bass tracks on his CD.