1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Warwick Vampyre BO Dark Lord... Here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettTheThreat, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I was in the local music chain (L&M) here in little Sydney Nova Scotia wandering around when I happen upon this MAMMOTH instrument. I had no idea what it was when I first picked it up, which took about all my strength. Thankfully the internets tell me everything I need to know.

What makes me wonder is how it ended up here, in a city of 24 000 people, the biggest city within a 5 hour drive, where folk and Celtic reign supreme. This. The most beefy of bass guitars. Which produce notes so deep they summon demons from other dimensions. Who PLAYS these things?! Can most common amps/cabs reproduce F#?! Can you even hear the note over the string slap?! Does it play the infamous brown note?!

tl;dr : The Warwick Vampyre BO Dark Lord... would ya?

http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14460&cl=EN

2. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Is it the german made one or the cheaper version?

3. thats the german one.

i played one of the rockbass versions once. its massive and backbreakingly heavy. i dunno who the hell needs to tune to F. even the heaviest death and doom metal bands don't go down that far.

4. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    How much are they asking for it?

5. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    i sometimes use standard f# but i use a 8 string bass.
    i always thought that that bass was tune 1 step above. i need to get one now :p

6. F# brings about so many issues it ain't worth it to me. Tried it on a 34 scale 7, no dice. Cool bass though. If I had the money, the amplification and the need for such a thing I'd take it.

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    The F# is so low the only thing you'll hear is clack-clack.. And considering the price of that bass, I'd rather tune UP.

8. They were asking $2700 CAD, but everythings negotiable. I told my bass instructor about it today, but he didn't believe anyone would do that to a 4-string, so we looked it on youtube. His reaction was laughter followed by a "that sounds like $%!+!!!!" Which it really did. Its nothing but clack... But somebody, somewhere, plays one and loves it.

9. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I can understand a low B and maybe an A on a bass. But F sharp is pushing it. Sometimes I have hardtime distinguishing a low B when I hear one, let alone all the way down to an A. Again if I won the lotto I'd buy one for kicks though.

10. Hi.

I strung my 34" 6er F#BEADG a while ago, and even though the low strings won't be deafeningly loud, they're there
    Clear distinction between the notes, to me anyway.

And with a cheap Chinese tube amp and less than stellar 115 & 410 no less.

Up until You try one, please keep an open mind.

Regards
    Sam

11. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I have an F# string, which is made for those 'wicks.
    I tried it on my 34" 5 string - completely unusable (IMO, of course).
    Then put it on my 35", just to try it - well, still not a "must have for all bassists" :-D but much clearer.
    quite usable down to low A, and clear notes even in the second octave.
    interesting, I think I would never use it, or... I could fret the normal E at 10th fret :)

12. I did, with better amplification than I think you're descrbing. Sounded like mud. Not bashing, so don't worry about whether or not my mind is ajar or battened down. I really wanted it to work as I had no need for anything higher than C (what would be the point of having a 7 string without 7 strings) so I dumped the bass and the notion of playing F# on a 34" scale bass. There were distinct tones, but the distinction was small enough that with the quietest drumset and an acoustic guitar it would have been lost completely.

13. L & M might have had a couple of them dumped into the distribution pool when Warwick discontinued them. I tried one out west in Alberta - thought I might have liked it, as I have a Vampyre SN 5 that I'm somewhat fond of.
    The weight difference is about .5 kilos between the two, with the DL being the heavier.
    Frankly, all I really liked about the DL was the sandblasted finish...Sonically, I think it might have benefited from a Double $-type pickup array as opposed to the J/TJ, and the tuning (while certainly unique, and somewhat consistent playing-wise) wasn't practical for most of what I do.

They started out with the same rough price point out here, but it went to deep discount within a month or so. Good build quality, but a little too ultra niche-market for an instrument that's already in that neighborhood, IMO.

14. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    2700$. I thought perhaps the rockbass version but the real deal?
    Maybe you can get a deal on it in a few years from now ;)

15. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Just listed to the Chris Rivell (sp?) demo on Youtube...a nine string bass without the upper 5 strings:eyebrow:! Personally, I wouldn't give a nickel for it....but that is just me.:spit::spit::rollno:

16. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I am only 55% evil, and it clearly states in the manual "do not attempt to play a Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord if your evilness is less than 85%. Combustion of your internal organs may occur as a blood atonement." That being said, I would really like to know what kind of rig you'd need to play to really get anything but show value from that bass.

tl;dr - no

17. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I LOVE those things.

All I know about 'em is they use very thick strings, and ex Kittie basssist Jennifer Arroyo played one of those and several other Warwicks but, suddenly stoped using the Vampyre Lord after leaving Kittie and joining Sucide City which with them she normally plays a 5 string Corvette.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020