1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABG --effected by weather

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kiffen, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kiffen

kiffen

Feb 7, 2010
    Hey everybody. !st question----I live in the northeast usa. We have some extreme weather-- humid, hot summer-- cold, dry winter. I keep my GUILD b50 ( main, everyday player/ recording bass) in a case with a humidifier thingy. Just as the weather turned warm/ muggy the 11th fret on the G string buzzes. In the winter/fall/spring there are no issues. I hate effing with the truss rod--- never like to touch it. Should I just live with this?

2nd question-- My luthier did a total awesome redo on this baby. replaced the bridge with an original specs rosewood bridge ( someone shaved the original down--cheap fix attempt ) --neck reset-- added a brace inside--plays sick. the action is just about as low as anyone would want it. the luthier gave me some shims for the bridge saddle if i ever wanted to raise the action. Do i just cut it even to the width of the opening slot and drop it in there under the saddle? Not sure about this???:meh:

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Most basses need adjustments when the weather changes. If I had to say, if the frets are level, chances are if it's buzzing around the 11th fret, the neck needs to be straightened a bit. I'd tighten it a quarter turn at a time and let it sit for a day or so and see if it needs further adjustment. But if you don't feel confident doing that yourself, bring it back to the luthier for setup.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    You say you don't like to go near the truss rod, but as a fellow Northeast musician, there's really no getting around it. Truss rods were designed to be adjusted. Have your luthier show you how to do the seasonal tweaks that are a fact of life in this part of the world.

4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    +1