1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

About those Chromes Flats gauges...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoBlackTShirts, Mar 14, 2010.

1. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Hello there.

I observe that D-Addario Chromes come in .040-.100 sets and .045-.100 sets.

Probably a few of you have been confronted with a decision between the two, or have a preference between the two. Would you like to give me a little insight on your experience?

Thank you kindly

N

2. incident

incident

Dec 22, 2009
    They also come in a .050-.105 set.

I installed the .050-.105, and the D and G string tensions were too much for me. I felt that I was fighting the strings. They lasted all of 2 days before I went back to the .045-.100 set. Happy now.

I have not tried the .040-.100, so no comment there. I do like the sound I get from the .045-.100, and the tension works well for me.

3. I'm interested in this too.
    I play Cromes and currently have a 5-string Medium Long set on.
    But I'm hearing a lot about matching tensions as much as possible so I was considering getting a Soft Superlong (40-95) 4-string set and a separate 132 B. This would give me ~40 tension in all strings.
    I've also read in other String threads that the tone of Cromes is very guage specific and most prefer the lighter guage tone.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm sure NoBlack and I are basically looking for the same info.

4. I bought the lowest gauge first and the next highest afterwards. Love both sets but I feel I get a "twangy/treble-like guitar sound" from the lower gauge set's G string, not a fat bass sound. Nevertheless, DA chromes are amazing, smooth and low tension. I love 'em!!!!

5. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    I've had the experience that some new string sets have a G that is too stiff, and I've always thought that low E's are too floppy on pretty much every set I've had. If I could get the .040 to .100 set and trade the .100 for a .105 I'd probably be happy. D'Addario won't play, though, which they should in these electronic customer-service-oriented days, but they won't.

N

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    D'Addario has GREAT CS IMO..i have used it twice no issues.

7. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    You mean they'd make a custom set for you?

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have the .045-.100 and I am very happy. Honestly I dont know how much difference .005 could make.

9. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Yeah, it seems trivial but they wouldn't have done it if there hadn't been a market for it....I'd love to hear the story about why they made the two versions. The difference in tension on the two different G's is pretty wide: 37.6 pounds versus 45.7 pounds.

10. When I first started out on bass (only last year), I naturally had nickel rounds to start out with. The first set I had on my P bass were D'A nickel rounds 45-65-80-100, but I found the E and A too floppy compared to D and G, so I eventually switched to 45-65-85-105 and found them a little more balanced from string to string in terms of tension.

Then I switched to D'A Chromes when I discovered the joy of flats. Due to the slightly stiffer nature of flats compared to the rounds of similar gauges, I settled for 40-60-80-100 for that same balanced feel without being too overly stiff for my fingers or too hard on the neck (of my bass). In fact, I liked them so much, when I acquired my Jazz, I had it set up specifically for these strings right from the beginning.

I've been very happy with the 40-100 and I don't think I will be changing them any time soon.

11. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I love the balance of the .045-.100 set. With the .040 set, the G and D sound just a bit thin to me.

12. I have a set of D'A Chromes, 50-70-85-105, medium/long on my Ibanez SR500FL. (fretless). They have even tension, smooth playing; I'm very happy with them.

13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    +1. Love 'em on my 77 P. Thinking of replacing the rounds on my Bongo 4HH with Chromes.

14. i only wish they made a light(er) 5 string set, say .040 - .125.....

15. You may have a point about the 40 being a little thin.

Actually, my ideal set would be:

G - 45 (45.7 lbs)
    D - 60 (45.2 lbs)
    A - 80 (43.7 lbs)
    E - 105 (41.5 lbs)

Now that's what I would call "balanced".

16. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    If you went to a lighter ga. ONLY because of having to fight the strings, click my user name & see my "..followup" post on D'Addario 105-50's (3-18-2010). I think you'll find that'll do the trick.

17. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Does higher gauge equal higher tension on the bass?

18. funkout5

funkout5

May 19, 2009
    Suburbia, USA
    just think about it, the string is thicker, so of course the tension would have to be higher to produce the same note

19. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    Well, that's true if the added thickness comes from the core. If it comes from the wrap and the core is the same, not so much. The wrap is pretty stretchy; it's just there to add mass.

NT

20. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i use 40-100's. they sound great with no loss of low end or punch. the tension is perfect, for me at least.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020