Accugrove vs. Flite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suburban, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I just noticed the sudden flow of "Schroeder vs. X", so I thought I'd chime in with a somewhat - whatstheword - blasfamic(?) query:

Anyone ever A/B an Accugrove Tri 112 vs. a Flite 112MHD? Or could do that for me?

I'd really like to know what Mark is actually charging for ;) The Accu cost the double; are they twice as good, in a direct comparison? :help:
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You must be joking! I've never heard an AccuGroove but the Flites are not what I would consider exceptional sounding cabs. They sound good, but not really great. The real draw is the weight.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Obviously, what sounds "good" and "bad", and "how much better" one cab is than the other are subjective observations, and we are all going to differ somewhat in where we stand. But let me say to all of you who may be put off by the price tag for the Accugrooves, you need to understand how these cabs are made. The construction is top notch, and (for the most part, as far as I can tell) each driver is designed with its own "cab within a cab" to best suit its volume, frequency, etc. needs. Those silk dome tweeters aren't cheap, either, nor are the hand-made crossovers.

Do I wish bass gear were cheaper? Sure I do. But given the overall pricing in the market, and comparing the Accugroove cabs to the competition, then factoring in the "extra" work that goes into Accugroove cabs, I do not think that their prices are unreasonable. Still, they are high enough to keep my eyes on the used market!;)

My advice is to go hear a Tri 112 sometime (if possible). Personally, I think that it will trounce any other "1x12" (or similar configuration) out there - with the exception of my beloved EA Wizzy, but that's a sheep of a different color.

That said, myself, I have not heard the Flite 112MHD, and it may be a killer cab for the money. But there is such a wide range in what we have to choose from nowadays, I caution anyone to choose on price alone.

Later, Tom.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Tom, I'm very much aware of the extra effort Accugrove has put in, both in development and in piece by piece building. And very appreciative of that effort!

I also agree, wholeheartedly, to your statement not to choose on price only.

Which brings back the original question: could somebody, preferably several people, be my ears in finding the differences in actual result?

It may be so, that they are comparable soundwise!
    It may be so, that the sheep are of completely different color, whereas the great idea would be to have one of each :eek:
    Or it may be so, that one is totally blowing the other away - but then: which one? :meh:

Are there people at TB, that have access to both, that can help me out? Over here, there are no Accu's or Flites whatsoever, within 500 km/6hours.
    :help: Please?
  5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I hear you, there. I also had a difficult time getting my hands on some high end gear in my area, and to a certain extent have had to rely upon the comments and observations of others. Sometimes, a second-hand opinion is all that you can get! In fact, I could never find any EA cabs to listen to, and ultimately bought my first one as a leap of faith. Of course, this got me fully addicted to EA gear, and I now have more of their cabs than any sane person could rationalize owning. :bag: But, this has also allowed me to share some comments with others, and in one case, I loaded up a bunch of my EA cabs into my wife's SUV and drove two hours to Columbus so that I could pass on the EA addiction to a fellow TB'er (ain't that right, Phil!).

So, like you, I await the responses of others who have heard both cabs. I'm quite curious, myself. But as stated above, the Accugroove cabs really are something special, and I suspect that the Tri 112L would fare well in this shootout.
  6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Expensive vs. Ugly?

ha ha ha

(just kidding)

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Anytime someone wants to do a comparison of any of our AccuGroove cabinets with any other brand, just let me know when you want to bring your gear over to our shop. (Or better yet, to one of our dealers) Direct A/B always solves the questions & makes us look real good.

8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Mark, I'd have been at ypur place a year ago, hadn't you been on the opposite side of the planet.......

Still wish to be there, but considering the distance/time/money situation, I still need :help: to do this A-B...

I need to know if the price difference is justified (enough!), vs sound and construction. The construction part is fairly well reported, as is the post-sales customer support. The actual comparison, soundwise, is still lacking (except a comment from Mark, off-list, some time ago - but dispite my confidence in his opinoins, I'd like a second opinion, and a third and fourth, if some of you could get your hands on both).
  9. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I haven't been very impressed with Flite's sound. I know they are very light but they also sound that way to my ears.
  10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, obviously the apples to apples comparison would be the most helpful for you, but since no one seems to have done this, I'll share what I can. I have not heard the Flite, and I have not heard the Tri 112. But, I have heard the Tri 208, Mini Whappo, Whappo, Jr. (both with ferrous and with neo drivers) and Tri 210L, and I own the last two. The Accugroove cabs are designed to be full range, uncolored, accurate cabs. I can attest to their success in this regard. If these design goals mirror your personal desired traits in a bass cab, then truly, Accugroove is one of the very best manufacturers out there (with EA being the only other cab maker that really compares in this regard). I also find that Epifani and Bergantino make some incredibly good sounding cabs, that any given player may easily prefer to the Accugroove tone, but they really aren't as uncolored or accurate. While I haven't heard them (yet!), the Schroeder and ACME cabs also have great reputations, and could be worthy competitors, especially at their price points.

But, having said all of that, if the only other brand you are considering is Flite, I feel very confident in saying that The Tri 112 would be a notable improvement in almost every regard, and over the long haul, I think you would appreciate the extra investment.
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Abaguer; thank's for your input, much appreciated!!

Tom; I have followed the development of your cabinet storage, and taken in your reviews. Still(!), this summary was really helpful!

Still no direct A-B, though.... :crying: